Women’s tennis primed for upcoming Pac-12 singles championship

Senior Catherine Harrison will look to repeat as Pac-12 champion this Thursday in Ojai, California. If Harrison wins, it would be the sixth singles title for the Bruins. (Shelby Scoggins/Daily Bruin)

By Ishan Ayyalasomayajula

Senior Catherine Harrison described herself as having “flown blind” through last year’s Pac-12 singles championship.

Harrison, currently the No. 17 player in the nation, primarily played in the fifth singles spot last season, leading her to have little experience against the stiff competition she would face in the tournament.

“I never played any schools’ No. 1s (last year),” Harrison said. “But this year I’ve had matches against them and know what their game styles are.”

Harrison won the Pac-12 singles title last year, and there is an expectation for her do it again now that she has a feel for the top competition. This year’s Pac-12 Championships will be held in Ojai, California, from Thursday through Sunday.

The Bruins look to continue their recent run of success at the Pac-12s – dating back to 2008, a Bruin has won five of the last eight singles titles. Most recently, Harrison won last year, alumna Jennifer Brady won in 2014, and senior Kyle McPhillips in 2013.

Sophomore Terri Fleming hopes to make a splash in the singles championship this season after making the finals last year in the singles invitational bracket.

Fleming finds herself in a similar situation to what Harrison experienced last year – both primarily played lower singles competition during dual matches, leading Fleming to not have much experience against the field.

“I haven’t played many of them,” Fleming said. “So they don’t really know my game and vice versa, so that can be a good thing for (my chances).”

Freshman Alaina Miller said that for her, the emphasis has been more on mental preparation than on her game. The freshman sensation has impressed in her first season, going 13-5 in singles play. While her game speaks for itself, it remains to be seen how she mentally adjusts to tougher competition and pace of play.

“I am a bit nervous,” Miller said. “But I’m also super excited, this is a new experience that I’m excited to tackle.”

The Pac-12 Championships will be the final organized matches for the team before NCAA Tournament play kicks off in mid-May.

Ishan Ayyalasomayajula | Alumnus
Ayyalasomayajula joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo and women's tennis beats.