Sunday, May 5, 2024

Track and field members achieve lifetime bests despite loss to Texas A&M

Senior thrower Nicholas Scarvelis threw 67 feet in the shot put competition this weekend against Texas A&M. Both the UCLA men and women would lose the overall meet. (Tehya Faulk/Daily Bruin)

By Vikram Sairam

It had been more than a month since the reigning Pac-12 champion had thrown shot put, and the spectators at Saturday’s meet in Drake Stadium were waiting for his return.

From the moment senior Nicholas Scarvelis stepped in the ring, competitors and teammates alike were expecting something big – and they weren’t disappointed. After his first two attempts, the 2016 Indoor All-American became the only thrower in the competition to go over 64 feet, leading everyone in the vicinity to quickly pay attention to what was about to happen.

On his third attempt, a slow clap began. Sophomore thrower Braheme Days and freshman Stamatia Scarvelis led the clap and even the Texas A&M opponents couldn’t help but join in, ultimately setting up the stage for a massive throw – and it came.

Within seconds of the slow clap ending, the senior let it fly. Scarvelis immediately knew he had achieved something special, letting out a thunderous roar of excitement the moment the metal ball left his fingertips.

“Sixty-seven feet flat!” said Drake Stadium broadcaster Rich Perelman.

Scarvelis had achieved a new lifetime best, catapulting him into first place in the nation.

“We had a team meeting last night, and I told the team that today was a great day to throw PR’s, hit regional qualifiers and just get some big marks,” Scarvelis said. “Today was high energy and low pressure with only one other school out there, so I had to take advantage of this opportunity at home.”

Scarvelis is only eight centimeters away from qualifying for the Olympic Trials, in hopes of being able to represent Greece at the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Despite the impressive performance and added pressure to keep improving, the senior refused to lose sight of his immediate goals.

“First of all I’m not focused on a number, I want to win national championships,” Scarvelis said. “I’m definitely putting out throws that are good enough to do it, so that’s really the main goal, and I’ll do whatever it takes to achieve that.”

Scarvelis’ lifetime best came after that of fellow shot put thrower Torie Owers. The junior easily surpassed her old personal best by nearly two feet, hitting a mark of 57-05. In similar fashion to Scarvelis, Owers could barely control her excitement, as she lunged into the arms of throws coach John Frazier when she tossed the winning mark.

“I was running to hug him and I jumped up and thought I was going to flip over his back,” said Owers. “But we were really excited, we’ve been talking about how its been time for me to PR and how I sort of just haven’t been doing it, so I’m really glad I was able to come out and get it done.

A flurry of personal bests set in the sprints

Texas A&M boasts the No. 1 men’s team and the No. 5 women’s team in the nation, and both continued their impressive performances this season by defeating both Bruin teams. However, various UCLA sprinters used the elite competition to achieve faster times.

Sophomore star Leon Powell took first in the 100-meter dash and second in the 200-meter dash, setting a PR of 20.94 in the latter. Junior Jonny Moniz also achieved a lifetime best in his primary event of the 400 meter, running a 47.07 – placing third.

The biggest surprise of the men’s sprint crew came from senior Nick Hartle, who set a lifetime best with a time of 1:46.73 in the 800-meter dash – an event he has not set a personal best in since his sophomore season.

“Man it was such a relief to finally break my PR from sophomore year,” Hartle said. “To finally get past that 1:47 barrier, I believe that’s an automatic qualifier for the Olympic Trials so I’m super excited to be in this position. It just makes being a Bruin that much more special.”

On the women’s side, the 4×100-meter relay team – comprised of freshman Suzie Acolatse, sophomore Jessie Maduka, freshman Angie Annelus, and senior Kylie Price – ran the first sub-44 second time since 2004 for the Bruins and took first against the Texas A&M relay.

Price anchored for UCLA in outstanding fashion, overcoming a significant lead resulting from a poor baton exchange with Annelus.

Freshman Jasmine Stauffacher-Gray came in second in the 400-meter hurdles with a new personal best of 58.74, losing only to the Aggies’ reigning SEC and USATF champion Shamier Little.

All in all, it was more than a positive showing for a team facing the nation’s best. The Bruins will travel to UCSD next week to compete at the Triton Invitational on April 22.

For full meet results, click here.

Vikram Sairam | Alumnus
Sairam joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. He spent time on the football, women's soccer and track and field beats.