UCPD Chief James Herren to retire after seven years of service

James Herren, UCLA’s chief of police for seven years, will retire at the end of the school year. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

UCLA Police Department Chief James Herren will retire in June after almost seven years in the position working to improve community relationships and accountability.

Herren joined the university as chief of police in 2009. He has since worked to improve interactions between officers and the community, and better prepare officers to handle public safety issues, said Administrative Vice Chancellor Michael Beck in a campuswide email Friday.

Beck said Herren developed relationships with the FBI by assigning UCPD investigators to taskforces to increase security and prevent computer-related crimes.

Before arriving at UCPD, Herren served at the Torrance Police Department for 32 years and was chief during his last nine.

Beck added UCPD will announce an interim chief and begin searching for Herren’s successor before he retires in June.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.