Saturday, November 17

UCLA Athletics receives $5M donation for new soccer-specific stadium

Both soccer teams have used Drake Stadium as their home field for matches. The new soccer-specific venue at the location of the current North Athletic Field will become the new home for the programs. (Jose Ubeda/Daily Bruin staff)

Less than a year after unveiling the start of its One Goal initiative, UCLA Athletics announced a $5 million donation from the Annenberg Foundation that will go toward a new soccer-specific stadium at North Athletic Field.

The venue, named the Wallis Annenberg Stadium, will be used by the men’s and women’s Division I programs and club sports, and construction is projected to begin in fall of 2016.

Current plans include a seating capacity of 3,000, two team locker rooms, stadium lighting and a scoreboard.

The soccer programs announced the joint One Goal campaign May 16, 2015, which began fundraising efforts to renovate the teams’ current practice field. The initial plan for a soccer-specific stadium included a proposal for a 2,250 capacity venue.

The new project will be funded by private donations and could cost up to $10 million total, UCLA announced. The next steps for the university will be selecting an architect and continuing fundraising efforts.

Both teams currently compete at Drake Stadium, a nearly 12,000 seat facility in which the “locker rooms” are tents set up on opposite ends of the track.

Alumni director

Walters is the Alumni director. He was editor in chief in 2016-17. Previously, he was an assistant editor in the Sports Department and has covered men's soccer, men's volleyball and men's water polo.