Second Take: Opening of ‘Harry Potter’ world in Hollywood brings magic to Muggles

Universal Studios Hollywood opened The Wizarding World of Harry Potter on Tuesday. The opening of the new addition to the theme park, which opens to the public Thursday, featured a performance by the Los Angeles Philharmonic led by conductor John Williams. (Nate Nickolai/Daily Bruin)

By Nate Nickolai

I gripped the thin plastic wood tightly in my hand. With a swift flick of my wand, I watched a quill scribble intently along the pages of a book all on its own.

By stepping through the gates of Universal Studios Hollywood, I had entered into the magical world of “Harry Potter” where even a Muggle like me could do magic.

Universal Studios Hollywood opened The Wizarding World of Harry Potter on Tuesday with a red carpet event, featuring an all-star cast of celebrities and a musical light show tribute. The over-the-top glamour created an enchanting start for the newest addition of the theme park, highlighting the magic within the “Harry Potter” world, which opens Thursday to the public.

The normal park hours were over. Streams of people emerged out of the busy CityWalk, dragging along tired toddlers in stained clothes after a long day of rides. I made my way to a small unobtrusive iron gate to the side of the main entrance, joining the mass of other reporters trying to squeeze down a narrow cobblestone path to the back of the park for the event.

As I rounded a corner on the path, the intense glare of stage lights illuminated the walkway in front of me, forcing me to momentarily squeeze my eyes shut. The lights shone over an empty sea of red carpet in front of them, which extended down the length of more than 10 giant “Harry Potter” posters.

Behind the velvet rope, a chaotic herd of cameras and video equipment was quickly spreading out down the long walkway. I crammed myself between two reporters at the end of the carpet and hunkered down to wait for the celebrities.

Soon after, stars began to strut down the carpet, pausing every few feet to stop and take pictures. “Harry Potter” actors Tom Felton, Evanna Lynch, Warwick Davis, James Phelps and Oliver Phelps created ripples of excitement as each actor made an appearance to usher in the most recent addition to the franchise that gave birth to all of their careers.

Felton said he was excited to enter the park after getting his wand and a butterbeer the day before. Even the English food in the Three Broomsticks is authentic, Felton said.

After the excitement over the stars’ arrival subsided, the media mass quickly shuffled into a dimly lit courtyard beneath the high arching towers of Hogwarts castle.

As I entered the courtyard, I felt completely immersed. The detailing of the castle was incredible, and I couldn’t keep my eyes from wandering back to look at its dark stonework.

Larry Kurzweil, president and chief operating officer of Universal Studios Hollywood, broke the spell by stepping onto the small makeshift stage at the front of the courtyard. With a swift flick of his wrist, Kurzeil used a wand to cast a spell off to his right, causing an enormous plume of fire to explode into the sky and creating a tangible feeling of magic.

“No longer do you have to imagine it,” said Chairman and CEO of Universal Parks and Resorts Tom Williams. “You just need to touch it and partake it.”

However, the glamour of the event continued to grow as Academy Award-winning composer John Williams emerged from behind the stonewall backdrop of the podium. Standing in front of two large bleachers holding the entirety of the LA Philharmonic, Williams led the orchestra into a nostalgic medley of “Harry Potter” songs.

As the first few notes rang out, the music whisked me away into the world of “Harry Potter.” The melodies that I had grown up listening to in every movie flowed throughout the courtyard, giving even more life to the magical scenery around me.

Behind the LA Philharmonic, lights suddenly began to glow on the castle, creating clouds of color that flowed around the castle walls.

Magic was everywhere as the light show flashed moving images onto the wizarding school, making the different houses of Hogwarts come alive. Flaming lions from the Gryffindor crest pounced from wall to wall while snakes representing Slytherin wormed their way around the steep towers.

As the orchestra’s music came to an end, an explosion of fireworks blasted from behind the castle, filling the night sky with a blanket of sparkling gold that descended upon the last few notes of the LA Philharmonic orchestra.

The intense detail and beautiful artistry of the park made the magic of “Harry Potter” come alive. J.K. Rowling’s world of witches and wizards was no longer confined to the pages of a book.

Nate Nickolai | A&E editor
Nickolai is the A&E editor. He was previously the assistant A&E editor for the Lifestyle beat and an A&E reporter.