Monday, May 6, 2024

Around the League: New women’s basketball coach for Arizona, Pac-12 MLB debuts

University of Washington women’s basketball assistant coach Adia Barnes will take over a struggling University of Arizona program after guiding the Huskies to the Final Four.
(Tehya Faulk/Daily Bruin)

By Grant Sugimura and Brent Troop

While Bruin athletes continue competing in Westwood, here’s a look at some of the biggest news from the rest of the Pac-12.

Arizona changes coaches after eight years

After guiding the University of Washington women’s basketball to the Final Four, assistant coach Adia Barnes takes over a struggling Arizona program that finished second-to-last in the Pac-12 this year.

Barnes ­– the all-time leading scorer in Arizona history – replaces Niya Butts following the Wildcats’ decision to not renew her contract following the 2015-2016 season.Washington finished the year with its fifth straight 20-win season, a feat they hadn’t accomplished in the six years prior to Barnes becoming assistant coach.

Before joining the Huskies’ coaching staff, Barnes played 12 professional seasons in the WNBA and overseas.

Two Pac-12 baseball players make their MLB debuts

With the coming and going of Major League Baseball’s opening day, the Pac-12 was well-represented on diamonds across the country.

Arizona State alum Jake Barrett became the 105th Sun Devil to play in the Major Leagues. Barrett, a relief pitcher, made an appearance for the Arizona Diamondbacks in the fifth inning during their Tuesday game against the Colorado Rockies.

web.sp.aroundtheleague.DA.jpg
Arizona State University alum Jake Barrett and University of Arizona alum Joey Rickard made their Major League debuts this week with the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Baltimore Orioles respectively. (Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The Sun Devil notched a scoreless frame, retiring three of the four batters he faced.

Arizona State trails only USC, which leads all schools with 109 Major Leaguers.

Across the country, another Pac-12 athlete made his debut.

Arizona’s Joey Rickard hit in the No. 9 spot for the Baltimore Orioles.

Rickard went 2-for-4 in his MLB debut as the Orioles defeated the Minnesota Twins in walk-off fashion, 3-2.

The new Orioles left fielder skyrocketed through the farm system as he was playing for the Single-A Charlotte Stone Crabs at this time last year.

With the debut of Rickard, Arizona has now sent 83 players to the big leagues.

Grant Sugimura | Alumnus
Sugimura joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the women's basketball, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach volleyball, men's soccer and swim and dive beats.
Brent Troop | Alumnus
Troop joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo, softball and swim and dive beats.