UC increases freshman admissions offers to California residents

By Shreya Maskara

About 15 percent more California resident freshman applicants than last year were admitted to University of California campuses for fall 2016, according to data released Monday.

A total of 66,123 California high school students were admitted to the UC, according to preliminary data released by the UC Office of the President. The admission rate for nonresident students fell from 54.6 percent to 53.7 percent.

In November, the University announced a plan to increase resident enrollment by 5,000 in the 2016-2017 academic year and add another 5,000 students by the 2018-2019 academic year. According to the data, 8,488 more residents received offers for admission for the upcoming school year.

As part of the budget deal Napolitano, Gov. Jerry Brown and the state legislature agreed on in June, the University was given an additional $25 million to cap nonresident student enrollment at the current amount and enroll 5,000 more California students.

The percentage of nonresident students to be enrolled at UCLA and UC Berkeley this fall remained capped at the current amount for a second consecutive year, according to the press release.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor