Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen shows growth in season practices

Freshman quarterback Josh Rosen is already showcasing adjustments to his game after last season. (Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Joye

In the third game of last season, Josh Rosen’s youth showed.

Facing a BYU defense that used several psycho fronts throughout the game, the quarterback was unsure of who was blitzing. It was really the first time Rosen was flustered all year, and it showed. The freshman finished the first half with three interceptions.

After that game, Rosen called his first-half performance an uncharacteristic one for him. Coach Jim Mora said it was an “ugly game” for Rosen, but added that it would be a “turning point.”

Mora was right.

As the season progressed – and as Rosen became more accustomed to complex defensive fronts and blitzing schemes at the collegiate level – the true freshman came into his own. In the game against Utah in November, he was calling multiple audibles at the line of scrimmage, diagnosing the chaos in front of him.

Now, three practices into spring camp, Rosen is reacting to the defense before the play even starts.

“I think going with the cadence is really going to help Josh,” Mora said. “When you can manipulate the cadence the way we want to be able to do and you have a quarterback as smart as Josh, it gives you a tremendous advantage.”

The cadence system, formed under new offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu, gives Rosen as much leeway as ever at the line of scrimmage. The benefits of this approach are twofold: It can either draw the defense offside or it can cause the defense to jump and show its hand.

Such a scheme would have come in handy in that BYU game last year, when BYU disguised their pass rushers with psycho fronts.

“Probably most important is you get the defense to show their hand,” Mora said.

When UCLA faces Texas A&M for the 2016 opener, it will be key for the Bruins to pick up whatever they can from the Aggie defense. After all, the Aggies are at an advantage when it comes to defending Rosen – they have Rosen’s former offensive coordinator, Noel Mazzone, one their side.

Practice notes

• Saturday’s practice was the first padded practice of the spring. Mora said that the running backs were the standouts among all the positions groups. Sophomore running back Bolu Olorunfunmi broke off two long runs during the 11-on-11 scrimmage portion, and rising sophomore Nate Starks scored a touchdown as well.
  • Mora said he has not given thought to switching senior receiver Alex Van Dyke to tight end. Van Dyke, who is 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, made a couple nice catches over the middle during practice, sustaining huge blows both times but still hanging onto the ball.
  • Redshirt sophomore Cameron Griffin has been a standout at the fullback position, Mora said. Mora added that Griffin’s rugby background has been positive, and also that he’s been pleasantly surprised by Griffin’s pass-catching abilities so far in camp.

Email Joye at [email protected] or tweet him at @mattjoye.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.