Gymnastics turns to NCAA berth contention following Pac-12 title win

Following a win at the Pac-12 Championships, junior Angi Cipra said she’s glad her teammates have recovered from injuries in time to compete at this weekend’s NCAA Regional Championships. (Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Claire Fahy

This UCLA gymnastics season has proven to be one of the most watched in recent history. From the New York Times to Ellen Degeneres, audiences across the country watched viral routines and tuned into the Bruins’ journey to Pac-12 Champions.

Good thing for UCLA, the gymnasts don’t get nervous.

“Our freshmen – all of our gymnasts – have no nervous genes in them,” said coach Valorie Kondos Field. “They don’t think about the competition aspect. Once they’re out there, they have a ton of fun.”

The No. 8 Bruins traveled to Utah on Thursday to begin preparations for the NCAA Regional Championships over the weekend. Second-seeded UCLA will take on Utah, Washington, USC, Illinois and Utah State for the two available national championship berths from the Salt Lake City regional.

While the Bruins are a freshman-heavy squad, their veteran core of seniors Danusia Francis, Sadiqua Bynum and Sophia DeJesus are familiar with the regional championship after winning it outright last season and coming second in 2014. Francis won the beam competition last year and has only increased the difficulty level of her routine in 2016.

The gymnasts received much-needed rest after their Pac-12 Championship win, which allowed juniors Christine Peng-Peng Lee and Hallie Mossett to further recover from injuries. Lee will return to competing on the bars while Mossett will perform on floor.

“It’s super exciting to see your teammates getting healthy and getting out there to compete again, but anyone that does go out there for us will be able to compete with the other teams,” said junior Angi Cipra.

Coming off the momentum of their conference championship win, the Bruins will look to remain consistent in competing for a trip to the NCAA championship. Any misstep could cost the team much-needed points.

“I try to get myself in that mindset and do the same thing – staying strong and dialing in on the details because any quarter of a tenth could be the difference,” said junior Mikaela Gerber.

All things considered, the pressure is on this weekend. The stakes are high, as are the expectations of capitalizing on a strong season and riding UCLA’s big wins to a national championship.

Good thing the Bruins don’t get nervous.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.