Two new slates to run candidates in spring USAC election

Three slates will be running candidates for the upcoming elections. Voting for the election begins May 2, and results will be announced May 6 at 9 p.m. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Shreya Maskara

The article was updated on March 4 at 8:05 p.m.

Three slates, including two formed this year, will run candidates in the spring undergraduate student government elections.

Bruins United, along with two new slates – MakeUCLAGreatAgain and Waves of Change – have filed applications to run candidates in the election, said Lindsay Allen, chair of the Undergraduate Students Association Council Election Board.

Candidates from two slates, Bruins United and LET’S ACT!, have dominated elections in the past. Bruins United candidates held a majority in the council this academic year, with seven out of nine elected officials coming from the slate.

LET’S ACT! has run candidates for USAC since 2013 elections.

During the last election cycle, dozens of documents were leaked alleging members of the LET’S ACT! slate had illegally spent student funds and raised revenue for campaigns by selling alcohol and marijuana. The documents also alleged members of the slate solicited money from various student groups in return for slate representation.

The USAC Finance Committee found no evidence in August suggesting that LET’S ACT! solicited funds from student groups in previous campaigns after a three-month investigation. However, the Finance Committee did not analyze all the forms detailing how student groups distribute their funds.

All students who want to run in the upcoming election must submit candidate applications to the Election Board by noon March 9. Voting for the election begins May 2, and results will be announced May 6 at 9 p.m.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor