ASUCLA to build new walls around Ackerman Union prayer space

Associated Students UCLA plans to build walls around the nondenominational prayer space in Ackerman Union. (Marley Maron/Daily Bruin)

By Ashraf Sabbah

The original version of this article contained several errors. Roy Champawat did not say that students from Muslim Student Association expressed dissatisfaction with the partitions. He said Associated Students UCLA officials were not satisfied with the initial setup. Ayesha Rasheed, external vice president of MSA, called for the space to be in a private location, not to make the space feel more secluded.

Associated Students UCLA will build walls around the nondenominational prayer space in Ackerman Union.

Construction began last week and is expected to cost ASUCLA between $5,000 and $15,000, said Roy Champawat, director of the student union. Champawat added renovations should conclude within the next few days, but could not confirm a date.

In December, ASUCLA voted to place office partitions around the lounge on the third floor of Ackerman to create a prayer space. Champawat said ASUCLA officials decided to install walls, saying that the management was not satisfied with the partitions.

Ayesha Rasheed, external vice president of MSA, said she approached the ASUCLA board of directors at a meeting in December before the space was built and asked for the prayer space to be in a private location.

Rasheed added students who have used the prayer space felt uncomfortable only a thin wall separated it from a walkway.

Fahad Anwar, a third-year business and economics student and member of MSA, said he supports the idea of making the prayer space more private because he thinks students need peace when they pray or meditate.

Anwar, who has not used the space, said he and some other MSA members still choose to pray behind Kerckhoff Hall because it’s more convenient, but he plans to use the prayer space when it is raining.

Aaliya Khan, an undergraduate student government general representative, said her office and other organizations on campus are in the process of securing a permanent space where students can pray or meditate after the six-month test run for the space in Ackerman Union ends.

Contributing reports by April Hoang, Bruin contributor.

Ashraf Sabbah