USAC recap – Feb. 23

By Nicholas Yu

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government that represents the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Special Presentations

• General Representative Aaliya Khan and a member of the Muslim Student Association said they think Islamophobia is present across the University of California system. Khan added she thinks Islamophobia is a bigger issue now than it was after 9/11, and people often pronounce the words Muslim and Islam incorrectly because of the media.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Trent Kajikawa presented about online education and talked about efforts the UC system is making to increase opportunities to enroll in online classes.

Agenda Items

• The council approved an allocation of $460 from the Contingency Programming Fund to USAC offices.
  • The council approved an allocation of $3,500 from the Contingency Programming Fund to student groups.

Officer Reports

• President Heather Rosen said she met with Leo Estrada, chair of the UCLA Academic Senate, last Wednesday to discuss plans for how UCLA will adjust to the increase in enrollment next year.
  • Rosen said she met with Kim Kovacs, executive director of UCLA’s Federal Relations Office, last Friday to discuss relevant legislation and the Pell Grant.
  • She added her office still has several presidential appointment positions to fill.

Compiled by Nicholas Yu, Bruin senior staff.

Nicholas Yu | Assistant news editor