Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

The Rundown: Feb. 23

Former UCLA women’s golfer Erynne Lee became the first rookie to win the Symetra Tour season opener in 11 years over the weekend. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Tanner Walters and Claire Fahy

Check out a breakdown of the UCLA sports stories you might have missed this week.

Ross retires from elite competition

Another elite gymnast is on her way to Westwood.

Kyla Ross, the youngest member of the Fierce Five who won the team gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics, announced her retirement from elite competition Monday morning on Twitter. She will join the UCLA gymnastics team in the fall.

“Deciding to retire from elite gymnastics has been one of the most difficult decisions I have made in my life, but I feel my time as an elite gymnast has come to an end,” Ross said in an interview with USA Gymnastics. “I hope to still inspire young gymnasts as I transition to collegiate gymnastics and this next chapter in my life.”

Ross announced her commitment to UCLA back in February 2015, but it appeared she might defer enrollment until after the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. With the decision to attend college, the highly-touted recruit will join fellow Fierce Five member Jordyn Wieber, who is a team manager for the Bruins.

In the three years after her Olympic debut, Ross won six U.S. national medals, five World medals and five Pacific Rim medals.

Former UCLA football player running for Congress

Justin Fareed, who played football for UCLA from 2007 to 2010, is currently seeking a congressional seat in Santa Barbara. Fareed graduated with a bachelor’s degree in political science and joined the Bruin football coaching staff, working under Rick Neuheisel and Jim Mora.

Fareed moved on from UCLA to become a legislative aid for Congressman Ed Whitfield and in 2013 led a congressional delegation to Turkey. Fareed is currently the vice president of Pro Band Sports Industries, Inc. while also overseeing operations on his family-owned ranch in Kern County, California.

The elections are set to be held on June 7.

Erynne Lee wins major golf tournament

A rookie won the Symetra Tour season opener for the first time in 11 years Sunday. That rookie happened to be UCLA women’s golf alumna Erynne Lee.

The tournament came down to one shot, as Lee finished 7-under-par with a score of 65 on the final round. With the championship on the line, Lee shot an eagle on the 16th hole and parred the 17th and 18th holes.

As a collegiate golfer at UCLA, Lee won All-Pac-12 honors and four college tournaments.

Compiled by Tanner Walters and Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]