Napolitano discusses cybersecurity, budget deal at LAWAC lecture

University of California President Janet Napolitano spoke at event organized, as a part of a lecture series on global management, by the Los Angeles World Affairs Council. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Evolet Chiu

University of California President Janet Napolitano, in her speech Wednesday, defended the University’s decision to install hardware on its data networks, saying it was an attempt to secure networks after the security breach at UCLA Health in 2015.

About 200 people, including UCLA Chancellor Gene Block, attended the event where Napolitano spoke about issues such as cybersecurity and the stability of the University, including the University’s financial state and free speech issues. The event was organized as a part of a lecture series on global management by the Los Angeles World Affairs Council and the UCLA Anderson School of Management.

Napolitano discussed the budget deal made with Gov. Jerry Brown last spring. She said she focused on increasing enrollment of in-state students when negotiations with Brown on the budget deal began.

As a part of the budget deal, the University will add 5,000 more resident freshmen and transfer students and another 5,000 students over the next two years. Napolitano said she thinks the budget calls for the need for additional classrooms, labs, dining and housing facilities and faculty.

web.news.gene.KC.jpg
About 200 people, including UCLA Chancellor Gene Block, attended the event on Wednesday held in Santa Monica. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

“There are some challenging elements to it, but they’re good challenges to have,” she said.

She added she thinks the University’s priority is to keep tuition low and predictable in the coming years.

Napolitano said that due to the financial aid mechanisms, almost half of in-state students are able to graduate without debt.

However, the UC system can no longer financially depend on only tuition and state appropriations to fund, she said. Napolitano added the engagement of alumni, faculty and department deans is required to form a new revenue model.

Napolitano also said she wants to actively listen to students’ concern about intolerance in the UC, and use the feedback to address anti-Semitic occurrences at UCLA and other UC campuses.

She said the Board of Regents will adopt a statement of principles against intolerance in its March meeting.

Compiled by Evolet Chiu, Bruin contributor.

Evolet Chiu | Science & Health editor