Around the League: UCLA gymnasts lauded, Washington talent sets records

The Pac-12 announced its All-Century lineup this week with 12 of the 16 spots occupied by Bruins, along with current coach Valorie Kondos Field being named Coach of the Century. (Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Tanner Walters, Claire Fahy, Matt Cummings, and Korbin Placet

While Bruin athletes continue competing in Westwood, here’s a look at some of the biggest news from the rest of the Pac-12.

All-Century gymnastics squad

Everything came up blue and gold in the Pac-12’s announcement of the league’s All-Century Women’s Gymnastics Team this week.

Bruin gymnasts – highlighted by Tasha Schwikert, the Gymnast of the Century – took 12 of the 16 spots, while coach Valorie Kondos Field was named Coach of the Century.

Arizona State, Oregon State, Stanford and Utah each had a single representative, but the quartet were the select few who didn’t come from Westwood.

Schwikert represented UCLA from 2005-2008, winning the NCAA all-around title in her freshman and senior seasons. Despite dealing with injuries after her first season, she completed her career as a 12-time All-American and a two-time Olympian.

The most recent competitors who made the list were UCLA’s Samantha Peszek and Utah’s Georgia Dabritz. Both women represented their schools as recently as last season.

On the sidelines, Kondos Field took the honors thanks to her 26-year track record of consistent individual and team successes. The Bruin coach has taken her teams to six national championships in 26 seasons, garnering a dozen Pac-12 titles along the way.

Each of the 16 All-Century representatives won a minimum of one NCAA/AIAW individual championship and seven were Olympians.

Plum sets records

Washington women’s basketball’s Kelsey Plum made history Sunday, becoming the fastest player to reach 2,000 career points in the Pac-12.

The 2,000th point came from a open 3-pointer late in the first quarter against Cal. The Huskies would beat the Bears 75-65 to improve to 7-3 in conference and 16-5 overall.

Plum currently leads the nation scoring, averaging 27 points per game, and is on pace to be Washington’s all-time leading scorer. Jazmine Davis and Jamie Redd are the school’s current leaders with 2,227 and 2,027, respectively. Plum finished Sunday’s game with 2,025 career points.

Setting records is nothing new for Plum. She already holds the Washington record for all-time single-season points with 746, set during her sophomore year, and the single-game point record with 45 in the Huskies’ 2015-2016 opener against the Oklahoma Sooners. As if that wasn’t enough, she broke the Pac-12 freshman scoring record, set at 712. She was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year in 2014.

Washington is tied for fourth in the Pac-12 and ranked in the AP poll – for the first time since 2003 – at No. 24.

Compiled by Tanner Walters and Korbin Placet, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.
Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.
Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.