UCLA to host athletes village in LA’s 2024 Olympic bid

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Monday that UCLA would host the 2024 Olympic Village if the city is selected. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Tanner Walters and Roberto Luna Jr.

UCLA will host the Olympic Village in Los Angeles’ bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, city and university officials announced at a press conference Monday.

Los Angeles is one of four cities in the running for the games, up against Rome, Paris and Budapest, Hungary. The International Olympic Committee will select the host city in September 2017.

Officials at LA 2024, the committee organizing Los Angeles’ bid to host the Olympic and Paralympic games, had previously announced plans for an athletes village that would be more “centrally located” along the Los Angeles River, on land currently used by a Union Pacific rail yard.

The committee’s bid book originally stated UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion, Drake Stadium, North Athletic Field and the Los Angeles Tennis Center would host athletic events, if Los Angeles was chosen. In the original plan, the Hill was to be used solely as a media village.

news.olympicbid.breaking

L.A. County Metropolitan officials asked for federal funding to expedite the construction of the Purple Line subway extension to Westwood to accommodate the 2024 Olympics.

USC will host the media village for the 2024 Games if Los Angeles is selected, officials announced in the press conference.

During the 1984 Summer Olympics, the Hill served as the primary location of the Olympic Village, housing 4,000 athletes and athletic staff. Dormitories at USC and UCSB were also used.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr. and Tanner Walters, Bruin senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.
Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.