Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

FuturizeX challenge finalists develop solutions to global problems

By Xinchen Li

The original version of this story incorrectly stated that chief directors of FuturizeX will be a judge.

Six undergraduate students were selected Thursday as finalists in a campuswide challenge that encourages students to develop solutions to global problems.

UCLA and XPRIZE, a nonprofit organization that facilitates competitions, launched the FuturizeX Student Challenge, which is open to undergraduate students. More than 250 applicants participated in the contest and submitted proposals that aim to solve issues in agriculture, medicine and education, among other fields.

A panel of judges, including experts in fields related to medicine, media and the environment, will evaluate the six students’ ideas. The panel will choose three winners, who will be awarded $4,000, a 3-D printer, a one-hour consultation with Startup UCLA and a VIP tour of SpaceX.

Several finalists chose to tackle the climate change issue in their submissions. Stephanie Wottrich, a third-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student, said her project combats ocean contamination by using a porous material to absorb melted methane that accumulates at the bottom of the ocean.

Jonathan Massachi, a second-year bioengineering student, said his submission aims to increase the efficiency of solar panels. His proposal suggests panels should be shaped as blades of grass to increase their surface area and maximize their exposure to light.

Other finalists focused on problems such as food and water shortages. Sohom Paul, a first-year business economics student, said he experienced a severe farming crisis in India when he was a child and hopes to solve global famine one day. His project applies data analysis and algorithms to farming techniques.

Students and faculty members can vote for submissions on the challenge’s website until Thursday. The competition’s final winners will be announced Feb. 4.

Compiled by Xinchen Li, Bruin contributor.

Xinchen Li
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]