Home court sets stage for men’s volleyball rivalry match

Junior middle blocker Mitch Stahl and the UCLA men’s volleyball team will return to Westwood this weekend for a rivalry match against USC. The undefeated Bruins are ranked No. 1 in the nation. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Men’s volleyball

No. 15 USC
Saturday, 3 p.m

Pauley Pavilion
Pac-12 Networks

By Phil Share

The first home match of the 2016 regular season for UCLA men’s volleyball will feature a classic rivalry, but the two sides are on very different paths.

The No. 1 Bruins (6-0, 3-0 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) will look to continue their unbeaten season at Pauley Pavilion Saturday against No. 15 – yet winless – USC (0-4, 0-2). UCLA returns after a six-match road trip through the East Coast and Southern California that saw them secure away wins against several ranked schools, including No. 4 UC Irvine (2-2, 1-1) and No. 10 Penn State (2-2).

Despite the Trojans’ poor record so far this year, the Bruins say they won’t be taking this Saturday’s crosstown matchup lightly.

“I don’t think the records really matter when we play each other,” said junior middle blocker Mitch Stahl after Wednesday night’s victory at Cal Baptist. “We both feel that rivalry, and both teams are going to be amped up to play.”

SET SIX: Listen in to this week’s podcast, featuring freshman setter/hitter Micah Ma’a.

Even with USC’s recent bout of injuries, coach John Speraw has no illusions when it comes to the competitiveness of the rivalry with USC.

“It’s a rivalry game, so no matter what their record is they’ll be sharp and emotional in the match,” Speraw said. “We know that ‘SC isn’t healthy and that they’re going to continue to get healthy, and the guys that have been on the court are going to continue to get better because of the opportunities that they have.”

A LOOK BACK: Last year’s upset victory over the Trojans.

USC has won only two sets so far this season, and are led by junior outside hitter Lucas Yoder, who has registered 44 kills in USC’s first four matches. The Bruins have two players with higher kill stats – albeit with two additional matches – in Stahl and freshman setter/hitter Micah Ma’a, with 56 and 47, respectively.

“For us, it doesn’t matter who we’re playing,” Speraw said. “We just have to continue to work and get better. … It’ll be fun to go out and play ‘SC – as it always is – but we’re going to treat it as any other match.”

Speraw considers this game the same as any other, but for Ma’a it is a special opportunity.

“I’m sure the energy is going to be there,” Ma’a said. “I haven’t played USC yet so I’m pretty excited. I know that the rivalry will bring out the best of them, and they’ll be firing on all cylinders for sure.”

Phil Share | Alumnus
Share joined the Bruin as a junior in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's soccer and men's volleyball beats.