Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – Jan. 13

The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.

Comments by public officials

• Chris Ragsdale, the Los Angeles Police Department’s senior lead officer for Westwood, said there was a 22 percent increase in crime in Westwood in 2015. The main crimes were thefts of unattended property and residential burglaries.
  • Jasmine Shamolian, field deputy for Councilman Paul Koretz’s office, said the proposed bike lane on Westwood Boulevard between Le Conte Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard will be removed from the Mobility Plan 2035. She also said her office appointed a planning deputy for Westwood.
  • Marco Perez, assistant director of UCLA Community and Local Government Relations, said UCLA is attaining an environmental impact report for its planned Geffen Academy in Westwood, and results will be released in March. He also said UCLA will add a statue of Jackie Robinson across the John Wooden Center sometime in March.

Discussion

• Lisa Chapman, vice president of the council, said the annual homeless count in Westwood will take place Jan. 26.

Motions

• The council approved sushi bar KazNori’s application to sell beer and wine on the condition that KazuNori not engage in happy hour deals.
  • After much discussion about regulations to short-term rentals, the council voted to support a 180-day limit for per year per renter and that anyone employed in a short-term rental unit be required to register with the Employment Development Department and be paid at least minimum wage.

Compiled by Guillaume Kosmala, Bruin contributor.