Saturday, May 4, 2024

Tanner’s Take: Which UCLA athletes you should be watching this winter season

Senior Danusia Francis is back for her final season in Westwood, and helped lead the Bruins to an upset of Alabama in the season-opening meet Sunday afternoon. (Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Tanner Walters

This is an especially busy week for a handful of UCLA sports, as five programs begin their 2016 campaigns with national title dreams. From each of these teams, though, there are certain names that stand out – or, at least, should stand out – to Bruin fans.

My list of athletes is far from exhaustive, but it’s a solid starting place for any casual fan who might need a little guidance this winter.

Gymnastics

The first meet of 2016 was last Sunday and, if the Bruins’ takedown of No. 3 Alabama is any indication, this season should be a fun one. Trust me, or just go watch the highlight reel from No. 6 UCLA’s shocker. Pauley Pavilion was rocking, giving some of the loudest cheers to senior Danusia Francis, who began her final season in Westwood.

Francis, a three-time All-American, is used to the success. This fall she represented Jamaica in the 2015 World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland. The senior started 2016 right where she left off, with a 9.95 score on the balance beam to tie for the best beam score of the day.

Another name to remember is Katelyn Ohashi. The freshman placed second in the all-around competition in her collegiate debut, competing in all four events. The new Bruin was competing in elite competitions at the age of 12, but injuries derailed her international career in 2013.

In an interview with the Pac-12 Networks after Sunday’s meet, Ohashi said that the collegiate atmosphere was completely different from what she was used to. Clearly that didn’t affect her routines because she showed that she’s back and ready to once again excel at a high level.

Men’s tennis

web.sp.tannerstake.picA.file.jpg
As one of the best players in the country, junior Mackie McDonald will once again be the Bruins' No. 1 player this season. The men's tennis team only lost one senior after 2015. (Daily Bruin file photo)

There’s plenty of reason to get excited about this year’s team, and you really don’t need to look further than UCLA’s dynamic No. 1 duo to see why. Junior Mackie McDonald and sophomore Martin Redlicki form one of the nation’s best doubles teams, in addition to their strong individual play, too.

Last year, McDonald was ranked as high as No. 3 nationally in individual play and you’ll be missing out on some of the best tennis in the country if you don’t watch him play. Redlicki, currently ranked No. 48, is quickly coming into his own with a strong serve and forehand that he said complements the play of his doubles partner.

The Bruins nearly upset No. 1 Oklahoma in last year’s NCAA Tournament but fell just shy. This year, with a young group led by McDonald, UCLA is in prime position to improve upon last year’s Third Round finish.

Women’s tennis

web.sp.tannerstake.picE.file.jpg
Senior Catherine Harrison will be tasked with leading the UCLA women's tennis team in 2016, following the loss of a number of key players. The Bruins fell in the national championship last season. (Daily Bruin file photo)

One name stands out above the rest on this year’s women’s tennis team: Catherine Harrison. The senior and reigning Pac-12 singles champion will play a key role in helping buffer the loss of the Bruins’ top two players. Harrison competed in fall tournaments across the country in the fall, with plenty of slip-ups along the way. Her preparation against the top talent nationwide could pay off when the NCAA season begins this weekend.

She cannot do it alone, though. Her doubles partner, and fellow senior, Kyle McPhillips will be one of the key players to watch in 2016. The duo has gone 66-15 in the past three seasons together, including back-to-back top-10 finishes in 2014 and 2015.

The women’s tennis team will need McPhillips to improve on her No. 27 singles ranking and it will rely on the veteran leadership of both women to lead a new-look squad this season.

Track and field

web.sp.tannerstake.picB.KMay.jpg
Sophomore Steele Wasik is already one of the UCLA track and field team's stars. The Bruins start their indoor season this weekend with the Lumberjack Team Challenge. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Steele Wasik is arguably the most talented member of the men’s track and field team. The sophomore is also one of the youngest. Last year, as a true freshman, Wasik earned second-team All-American honors in the decathlon, placing 12th at the national championships. In the indoor season, he competed in hurdles and relays, bringing his versatility with him in every event.

If Wasik didn’t grab your attention last year, this is the time to appreciate how accomplished he already is – and also recognize how much more is to come.

Over on the women’s side, redshirt freshman thrower Stamatia Scarvelis is a name to keep an eye on. The younger sister of senior thrower Nicholas Scarvelis was the No. 1 discus thrower in the nation and No. 2 in shot put during her final year of high school.

The younger Scarvelis sat out last NCAA season before joining the Greek national team over the summer. It’ll be interesting to see how she does in her first season of collegiate competition, but the potential is certainly there.

Men’s volleyball

web.sp.tannerstake.picD.AYeo.jpg
Sophomore outside hitter JT Hatch and the UCLA men's volleyball team have won three straight matches to start 2016. Hatch was the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Freshman of the Year in 2015. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The volleyball team is already three matches into the 2016 season, but the timeline is close enough to merit recognizing two key members of this year’s group. The more well-known name of the two is sophomore outside hitter JT Hatch, last year’s Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Freshman of the Year.

Hatch made an immediate impact in his first season in Westwood, and there’s no reason to suspect anything will change in 2016. The sophomore spent part of last summer as a captain of the U.S. Men’s Junior National Team. This year’s Bruin squad got younger and Hatch simply gained more experience.

One of those younger players is freshman setter/hitter Micah Ma’a. Three matches into the season, the Hawaii native is three kills away from the team lead. Even more impressive, Ma’a is 13 set assists away from that team lead, too. The dual-threat player should be fun to watch, especially with an already-strong group of veterans around him.

Email Walters at [email protected] or tweet him at @tannerbwalters.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.