Winter Lifestyle Preview 2015

(Kelly Brennan/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Lindsay Weinberg, Samantha Suman, and Jesse Sanford

Dec. 3, 2015 2:54 a.m.

As winter creeps onto the UCLA campus and finals come to an end, students seek activities around the city to embrace the upcoming holiday spirit. Daily Bruin A&E suggests December events that will help students celebrate and experience new pockets of Los Angeles.

booth.jpg
(Vivian Tong/Daily Bruin)

Artisanal LA’s Holiday Market

Holly Street, Old Pasadena, Pasadena, California

Saturday, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.

FREE

As the holidays approach, it might be challenging to find the ideal gift for a roommate, family member or significant other. Avoid the standard retail stores by browsing through a one-day holiday market in Old Pasadena.

Continuing for a second year, the European-inspired fair will take students out of the bustling city streets of Westwood and into a winter bazaar with 150 local vendors offering assorted trinkets and goods from independent shops.

Food vendors and cafes will serve steaming cider and festive treats to hungry shoppers as they listen to acoustic holiday music and snap a photo with Santa. The market allows students to explore Pasadena beyond just the Rose Bowl while simultaneously checking some items off holiday shopping lists.

– Lindsay Weinberg

Candy Cane Lane

Lubao and Oxnard Street, Woodland Hills, California

Dec. 12 – Jan. 1

FREE

Once a year, Angelenos are given the opportunity to embark on an adventure their childhood imaginations might have fathomed. The destination is the one and only Candy Cane Lane.

This 8 square-block area of Woodland Hills is annually transformed into a real-life winter wonderland. Traditional homes that otherwise remain undecorated during any other season are adorned in multicolored lights, Christmas paraphernalia and artificial snow.

The tradition, which began in 1952, is appropriate for family and friends. Every house is embellished in holiday spirit, with snacks such as hot chocolate, churros and cookies often sold to visitors.

Guests can either drive through the neighborhood or park their car and walk on the sidewalk. Those driving are encouraged to be mindful when planning their visit, as this is a popular tourist attraction notorious for bumper-to-bumper traffic.

– Samantha Suman

grinch_1.jpg
(Harishwer Balasubramani/Daily Bruin)

Grinchmas at Universal Studios Hollywood

100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, CA

Saturday – Jan. 3

From $95

Beginning Saturday, guests of the Universal Studios Hollywood theme park can experience the seasonal Grinchmas. Each year, the amusement park is transformed into Whoville, complete with a 60-foot tree.

The Grinch will be available for photos with his dog Max. Whoville carolers will greet guests with music, and other activities such as story time with Cindy Lou Who or cookie and ornament-making will commence.

After a long week of finals, take a day and get your money’s worth out of immersing yourself in the world imagined by beloved childhood author Dr. Seuss.

– Lindsay Weinberg

ICE at Santa Monica

1324 5th Street, Santa Monica, CA

Nov. 1 – Jan. 18, times vary

$15

Students have participated in snow-related activities in the mountains; however, students can see the Pacific Ocean and breathe crisp, salty sea air while ice skating at ICE in Santa Monica.

The rink is located about 15 minutes away from UCLA, two blocks away from the shops of the Third Street Promenade and five blocks away from the Pacific Ocean.

ICE at Santa Monica offers an unconventional ice skating experience for students who want to practice their ice skating with friends or through lessons with an instructor.

The ice skating rink incorporates a festive theme with holiday lights, Christmas music, hot chocolate and other items from its snack menu.

The centrality of ICE allows students to explore the city of Santa Monica, shop for holiday gifts at the nearby Third Street Promenade and brush up on one’s ice skating skills for the winter season.

– Jesse Sanford

Holidays in Beverly Hills

Beverly Hills, California

Dates vary

FREE

Though Rodeo Drive has already decked itself out in holiday lights, its festive events continue throughout December, including Holiday Entertainment and the Hanukkah Celebration Event. The events will unfold at Two Rodeo, a courtyard-like nook that leads to a small shopping village off of the main street of Rodeo Drive.

Holiday Entertainment includes a colorful 3-D paint-scaping light show held from 5:45-7:45 p.m. running Dec. 12-23. Bundled up in furry coats and boots, attendees can enjoy live jazz and classical music Fridays until Dec. 18 from 12-4 p.m. and then daily from Dec. 20-23 for those staying in the city after finals. Holiday carolers take their places on Saturdays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. until Dec. 19 so busy shoppers on Los Angeles’ prominent designer street can clutch bags of gifts while humming to old favorite tunes.

The annual Hanukkah Celebration Event occurs on the first night of Hanukkah, Dec. 6 from 6-8 p.m. The Jewish organization Chabad of Beverly Hills will help host the lighting of the 9-foot-tall menorah that stands near the fountain at Two Rodeo, and celebrate the Festival of Lights with Hanukkah foods and live music.

– Lindsay Weinberg

Lindsay Weinberg | prime content editor
Weinberg is the prime content editor. She was previously the A&E editor and the assistant A&E editor for the lifestyle beat.