GSA recap – Dec. 2

By Jorge Valero

Dec. 3, 2015 1:19 a.m.

The Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are held at 5:30 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.

Agenda

• GSA President Milan Chatterjee opened the discussion to public commenters about accusations that allege GSA’s neutrality resolution violates students’ First Amendment rights.

• Some public commenters said they were frustrated by GSA’s lack of transparency regarding the resolution. One commenter said he thinks GSA should lift funding restrictions and refrain from forcing its views on other students.

• Another student said she has felt marginalized in diversity forums as a Jewish student, and she was proud GSA declined to politicize the Diversity Caucus town hall.

• A GSA member said she felt disappointed with the specific language in the emails Chatterjee sent, despite feeling GSA council members have done a good job over the years.

• Chatterjee said two legal groups are defending the GSA, and the legal representatives believe GSA’s position does not violate students’ First Amendment rights. He said the university’s investigation is ongoing.

• Mick Deluca, assistant vice chancellor of campus life, discussed the relocation of the Kinross Recreation Center, also known as KREC. He said UCLA has decided the Kinross building will be the site of the Geffen Academy, a planned UCLA-run secondary school, and administrators are considering four locations the same distance from graduate student housing. Deluca added he would like to build more graduate housing close to campus.

• Deluca said past student fees will be used to pay for the new facility, and is confident administrators will not have to collect additional fees. He said administrators plan to open the new recreational center as soon as KREC closes.

• Michael Skiles, president of the Weyburn Hilgard Residents’ Association, said he is concerned KREC will close before a new center is built and that the Wooden Center will be over capacity if graduate students have to use the facility. He recommended keeping KREC open until a suitable relocation site is approved, and said he thought Warren Hall on Weyburn Terrace would be a good location. He also requested the new center be funded by the recent donation from David Geffen, rather than student fees.

• Steve Lookner, a former member of the Weyburn Hilgard Residents’ Association, said he is concerned the administration decided to relocate KREC without reaching out to graduate students first and said he thought administrators do not care for their concerns.

• Sonya Gavin, director of Grad Slam, talked about the campuswide competition that will showcase graduate students’ three-minute research presentations. She said Grad Slam will be hosting a social, workshops and information sessions for applicants in January.

• Council members motioned to push a vote about rescinding their neutrality policy to the next forum.

Officer Reports

• Andres Schneider, vice president of external affairs, said the Student Advocates for Graduate Education Coalition is advocating for national legislation on mental health issues concerning graduate students. He added Congress will discuss and may vote on the legislation.

• Chiao-Wen Lan, vice president of internal affairs, talked about the Graduate Student Survey, part of the Student Happiness and Well-Being Report, which started at UC Berkeley. The survey will ask graduate students questions based on 30 items relating to students’ needs and academic progress. The Graduate Divisions across the UC campuses will aim to implement the project at all UC campuses next quarter.

Jorge Valero | News contributor