Morgan and Company Jewellers rings in 50 years of tradition, class

Morgan and Company Jewellers, located in Westwood, has reached its 50th year of service. Marcus Rosner, the owner of the store, has managed the business since 1975. (Tehya Faulk/Daily Bruin)

By Chelsea Nivison

Morgan and Company, a Westwood business framed with lush green vines and tucked into a 1929 brick and mortar building, has served customers for almost half a century.

The jewelry store, located on Glendon Avenue next to Espresso Profeta, has been part of the Westwood community since 1965. The store is commemorating its 50th year of business with an ongoing sale.

Marcus Rosner, the owner of the store, has managed the business and cared for the building since 1975. Rosner said the store’s European influences reflect the ambiance of businesses in England and France, and he appreciates the authenticity of the store’s brick building.

Steve Sann, chair of the Westwood Community Council, said he thinks the store stands out from other chain stores because of its historical influence.

“It’s got a real sense of style and history to it,” Sann said.When you go into the store, you know you’re not in a mall jewelry store.”

Morgan and Company Jewellers shares a patio area with the next door cafe, which allows visitors to meet and drink their coffee in the sitting area. Rosner tends to an adjacent garden on the property.

“It gives me the comfort of enjoying peace and quiet, business and people,” Rosner said.

Rosner said he can practice several hobbies at the store, such as making jewelry, growing a garden and caring for his two dogs, Feather and Villon.

“It’s a unique store, because it’s taking the old world and mixing it into the new world,” Rosner said. “You can go outside, have a coffee and pretend you’re in a Parisian cafe.”

Rosner says he uses the natural light to evaluate the clarity of gemstones, as well as plant his heirloom apricot tree, red peppers, tomatoes and other plants.

In 1975, Rosner expanded the business to occupy the entire building, which originally housed six small shops that surrounded the patio. He said the landlord approved the expansion because he trusted Rosner to continue taking care of the building.

Rosner added he thinks the store has been successful in Westwood because its visitors are accommodating to independent stores. Westwood’s culture of family and community, along with business from tourists, has helped the store remain successful, he said.

Sann said he thinks independent businesses like Morgan and Company Jewellers add character to the Village.

“We really cherish these family-owned businesses in Westwood,” Sann said.

While fashion and trends are constantly changing, Rosner said the store’s selection of antique jewelry has drawn customers over the years. Rather than altering to fit to each short-lived trend, Rosner said the business focuses on classic pieces he doesn’t think will go out of style.

“We like traditional pieces that are timeless,” he said.

Rosner said he sees Westwood, neighbored by communities like Beverly Hills and Brentwood, as a cultural hub for people of different backgrounds.

“Westwood is the jewel in the center of a very wealthy area,” Rosner said. “It’s truly a mixture of all kinds of people.”

Rosner, who has lived in Westwood for more than 40 years, said he has seen Westwood businesses phase in and out. He remembers eating ice cream with an almond cookie at Wil Wright’s in the 1950s, long before Diddy Riese came to the Village.

Rather than strictly adhering to a specific business model, Rosner said he makes few changes to the store and aims to create a unique experience for his customers to make sure they are happy with their purchases and come back again.

“In every transaction, two people have to be happy,” he said, quoting his father.

Kenneth Lombino, a customer since 2000, said he was drawn to Morgan and Company Jewellers for their selection of Patek Philippe watches, which the store has sold for more than 40 years. Lombino said he returns to the store for Rosner’s fair prices and extensive knowledge about the watches.

“He’s an amazing man, incredibly knowledgeable and very classy,” Lombino said. “Classy, sophisticated and friendly – that’s how I would describe the store.”

Rosner said he wants to continue providing a quality experience to his customers while enjoying the store and his surroundings.

“It’s all about family,” Rosner said. “We care about the people and we care about Westwood.”

Chelsea Nivison | News contributor
Chelsea Nivison is currently a news contributor covering Westwood, transportation and Los Angeles.