Sunday, May 5, 2024

UCLA vs. Utah gameday predictions

Defensive backs redshirt junior Marcus Rios and sophomore Jaleel Wadood were part of a Bruin defense that received a big break Thursday when it was announced that Utah running back Devontae Booker would miss the rest of the season. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Tanner Walters, Claire Fahy, Matt Cummings, and Korbin Placet

UCLA travels to Utah to face off against the No. 13 Utes this weekend, coming off a 31-27 loss to the Washington State. This is the penultimate game of the regular season, as the Bruins have a Thanksgiving weekend showdown with the Trojans looming.

Here’s what Daily Bruin Sports predicts when UCLA kicks off at 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Claire Fahy, Sports editor
Utah 34, UCLA 31
In terms of story lines, I want nothing more than for UCLA to return from Utah triumphant and charge into the Coliseum two days after Thanksgiving for a winner-take-all rivalry game. In terms of reality, I don’t think that’s happening. When I walked into the Rose Bowl press box last weekend, I was ready to watch a team that had learned from its mistakes and was ready to take advantage of the opportunity in front of it. Instead, I saw dropped passes, penalties and a lack of effort on the game’s final drive. Those plays spoke of a team that doesn’t have the maturity to make it to the Pac-12 championship – let alone win a bowl game to complete a 10-3 season. Saturday’s game will be close, but Utah will outlast UCLA.

Korbin Placet, assistant Sports editor
UCLA 35, Utah 31
Without Devontae Booker, what is Utah? The Utes have relied so much on their star running back that it is hard to imagine them without him. He was a prolific rusher, gaining a total of 1297 yards for the season. Now, their only X-factor going into Saturday will be quarterback Travis Wilson, who has not been bad this season. But can he pick up the slack? As far as Utah’s defense goes, I could see them putting up a wall against UCLA’s running back group. Bruin freshman quarterback Josh Rosen might have to take the lead in this one, and after watching him make the 37-yard rushing touchdown to give UCLA the lead in the final minutes against Washington State, there’s no doubt he will do whatever it takes to win.

Tanner Walters, assistant Sports editor
UCLA 34, Utah 24
I was going to pick Utah, but the loss of Booker might be the Utes’ undoing. The Bruin defense is still a worn-down squad – one that hasn’t been able to stop the run – and Booker would have likely taken advantage of that. But his likely season-ending injury is a game-changer. With a stronger defensive effort, Rosen and UCLA’s offense should capitalize against a defensive group that struggled mightily against the pass last week against Arizona. This game could go either way, but I’ll take a risk with the Bruins.

Matt Cummings, assistant Sports editor
UCLA 31, Utah 13
In a season with three major injuries and two disappointing losses, UCLA is somehow still in control of its own destiny in the Pac-12 South. It’s incredible, and perhaps it truly is the Bruins’ destiny to win the division – how else can you explain Booker’s season-ending injury? The supernatural aside, Booker has carried a Utah offense all season that now looks like a giant question mark. On the other side, Rosen has erased any question marks about his ability. He’s a stud, and he’ll show it on Saturday.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.
Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.
Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.