Students organize vigil in support of victims of Paris, Beirut attacks

EuroBruins and the Lebanese Social Club held a vigil Monday night in memory of the lives lost in the Paris and Beirut attacks last week. (Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Shreya Maskara and Arman Sharif

Students braved the cold wind Monday night as they gathered in Meyerhoff Park to mourn the victims of recent attacks in Paris and Beirut.

About 50 students gathered in front of Kerckhoff Hall to recognize those killed in the attacks. During the vigil, hosted by the Lebanese Social Club and EuroBruins, students lit candles and participated in a moment of silence before marching through Royce Quad.

More than 130 people were killed and about 350 more were injured in the series of suicide bombings and shootings in the French capital Friday night, according to The New York Times.

UCLA officials confirmed all UCLA travelers, including 53 students in Paris, are safe after the series of attacks.

Dounia Fourneau, a graduate student in civil engineering who attended the vigil, said she was extremely shocked to hear about the attacks because her sister lives very close to the Bataclan concert hall, one of the targeted sites.

“I grew up in the city, visited these cafes regularly and walked down those streets for 22 years of my life,” Fourneau said. “It was heart-wrenching to see my city under attack.”

She added the vigil made her feel she was not alone in mourning the loss of innocent lives, and provided a sense of community.

“I was very lucky all my friends and family were safe,” she said. “But a lot of people were not that lucky, and I’m here to show my support for them.”

Footsteps echoed as attendees proceeded from Meyerhoff Park in a march to Royce Quad.

Marc Lucas, a graduate student in engineering who attended the vigil, said the event hit very close to home because he has family in Paris. After hearing about the attacks, he called family members until he was sure they were safe.

“When I heard about the news, I was confused why something like this would happen,” Lucas said.

Toward the end of the event, some students locked arms and sang the French national anthem as they descended Janss Steps. Another group of students held the Lebanese flag as they walked.

Dania Ghuneim, cultural chair of the United Arab Society at UCLA and event attendee, said she thinks the vigil provided a chance for different communities to express support for the victims of the attack.

“When something like this happens, people look for someone to blame,” said Ghuneim, a second-year undeclared student. “Instead of letting events like this divide us and marginalize certain communities, we should come together to fight against (terrorists).”

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor