Monday, May 6, 2024

ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Oct. 30

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. The board of director meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive director’s report

• ASUCLA Executive Director Bob Williams said that the donation box discussed previously has been set up on the A-level of the student union.
  • Concessions at Pauley Pavilion have undergone some changes, Williams said. Jersey Mike’s Subs has replaced Subway, he added.
  • Apple education pricing, which was piloted last year, is being continued this year and will be available online for alumni at the end of the year, Williams said.
  • The financial estimates for the renovation of the Global Viewpoint Lounge are finalized, Williams said.
  • Williams said the Portola Plaza stairs are completely reopened. There are plans to plant trees in the patio area, he added.
  • Williams said that the board of directors is still looking for someone to fill the position of director of legal and business affairs.
  • The student union kitchen is implementing the compositing of food wastes, Williams said. Recycle bins with revised signs should be rolling out in November, after which test trials will be run, he added.

Appeals

• A building manager appealed to the ASUCLA board of directors to have holiday pay for students. He said in the past there has been no holiday pay for students working during that time. Student employees at the student union have to work the day after Thanksgiving, two days after Christmas and several days during winter break, and extra compensation for working during recognized holidays should be given, he said.
  • The board of directors said it would consider the appeal brought forward by the manager.

Financial statements

• Financial results for September were strong, with a net income of $244,000, Williams said. The store was the biggest contributor of revenue, he added.
  • The association had a net income of $387,000 for the first two months of this financial year, Williams said.

Committee reports

• The ASUCLA Financial Committee approved the motion to increase line of credit for UCLA Student Media.
  • The outreach committee is focusing on encouraging composting, said Denea Joseph, an undergraduate student representative. Composting is being implemented in the ASUCLA kitchen and there is growing interest for composting on the Hill, Joseph said. In addition, the third annual T-shirt design competition will be announced sometime soon, perhaps within the next week, she said.
  • The revenue enhance ad-hoc committee is looking into expanding the Green House store in the student union, having it serve more hot food options and perhaps a make-your-own-bowl meal, said Patrick Adler, a graduate student representative.

Board decisions

• A majority of the Board voted to defer payment of the Communications Board’s payment for up to $50,000 until Jan. 2016.

Compiled by Keshav Tadimeti, Bruin contributor.