Women’s soccer prepares for upcoming uphill battle against Cal

Senior forward Kodi Lavrusky is one of the leading scorers on the UCLA women’s soccer team this season. The Bruins are fresh off a pair of wins last weekend, but they will face a tough task Thursday night against Cal. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Women's soccer

No. 20 California
Today, 3:30 p.m.

Berkeley
Pac-12 Networks

By Vikram Sairam

For the UCLA women’s soccer team, this season has been focused on adjustment and growth. Currently sporting a 8-7-1 record, the national champions of two years ago have struggled throughout the 2015 season, but seem to have finally found their rhythm.

The unranked Bruins won their last two matches, defeating Colorado 2-1 and Utah 1-0 at home. Prior to this pair of victories, the squad had lost three of its last five matches, and tied one as well.

With only three matches left in the regular season, the women’s team will look to finish the season with additional wins, but they won’t come easy. UCLA will travel north to Berkeley this Thursday to face No. 20 California, in what will be a difficult test for the young bunch.

The Golden Bears were ranked No. 14 before losing to the Washington Huskies 1-0 on Oct. 23, and are fresh off a 1-0 victory against Washington State – a team UCLA gave up four goals to in a loss earlier this month. The Huskies received 15 votes in this week’s NSCAA coaches’ poll.

Senior forward Kodi Lavrusky and junior forward Darian Jenkins, the Bruins’ leading scorers, will look to lead the team to an upset over Cal, but will be tested even further just three days after, as they face No. 4 Stanford in Palo Alto. The Cardinal boasts a 14-2-0 record, with both their losses coming against opponents in the top 15.

After the road trip across Northern California, UCLA will end regular season play against rival and No. 16 USC at Drake Stadium on Nov. 6. Should the Bruins qualify for the NCAA Tournament, the first round would take place Nov. 13.

Compiled by Vikram Sairam, Bruin Sports reporter.

Vikram Sairam | Alumnus
Sairam joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. He spent time on the football, women's soccer and track and field beats.