Westwood BID to ask property owners to increase term to 10 years

The business improvement district for Westwood Village will ask property owners for a 10-year renewal, instead of a usual three. Andrew Thomas has been the executive director of the BID since it was created in 2011. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Madeleine Pauker

The Westwood Village Improvement Association, also known as the BID, will ask property owners to renew its funding for 10 years, instead of the usual three, before the BID’s current term ends in 2017.

Westwood property owners vote to renew the BID, one of about 40 Business Improvement Districts in Los Angeles, every three years. Executive Director Andrew Thomas said a 10-year term, which is more than three times longer than its current contract, would reduce the time and money BID officials spend on renewal. The BID spends about $50,000 from its budget on consulting services each time it renews.

Thomas added the longer term would allow them to focus on larger goals.

“When property owners are looking for tenants, they prefer a 10-year lease to a three-year lease,” Thomas said. “It’s the same for a BID.”

Business improvement districts collect funding from property owners to offer services the city doesn’t provide, such as additional maintenance and infrastructure improvements, according to the L.A. City Clerk’s website.

Property owners pay assessment taxes that contribute to the BID’s annual budget of $1.3 million. The BID spends about 70 percent of its funds on Clean, Safe and Beautiful Committee programs, which include trash cleanup, graffiti removal and landscaping, Thomas said.

The BID’s Clean, Safe and Beautiful Committee also employs ambassadors who provide neighborhood information and assistance to visitors.

Since its creation in 2011, the BID has undertaken several projects, including sidewalk reconstruction, tree replacement and installing more signage. It also installed cigarette receptacles to street poles in September and pushed the city to create more bicycle lanes and parking infrastructure.

The BID’s board of directors consists of 13 local business owners. Four administrators, including Thomas, oversee the organization. The board meets monthly to discuss problems and propose changes to Westwood Village.

Century City’s BID operates on a 10-year schedule. Executive Director Sara Bilger said the longer period saves the organization money and allows it to keep functioning without interruptions.

The Century City BID also devotes about 70 percent of its $11 million budget to Clean, Safe and Beautiful Committee programs, Bilger said. She added most committee projects center around landscaping efforts.

Thomas said most property owners support the longer renewal period, but he has not yet reached out to every stakeholder.

Phillip Gabriel, owner of Scrubs Unlimited, said he is not opposed to a 10-year term but thinks other entities can perform street cleaning services, which he identifies as the BID’s most important task.

“Essentially what (the BID) is now is a maintenance district, so you could hire a property manager to do the stuff they do,” he said.

Gabriel added he would like to see more small property owners on the board of directors because he feels they need better representation.

Vic Bamokian, owner of Campus Shoe Repair, said he would support a 10-year renewal because he has not had any complaints with the BID so far.

“(The BID) helps Westwood – it keeps it clean, and something is better than nothing,” he said. “Let them continue (to do so).”

Rick Hartman, owner of Westwood Sporting Goods, also said he thinks Westwood Village has been cleaner since the BID was formed. A 10-year term would mean the neighborhood does not have to worry about voting on the BID’s renewal every three years, he said.

Clinton Schudy, owner of Oakley’s Barber Shop, has served on the board of directors since its creation in 2011. He said an increased renewal period would make it easier for the BID to complete certain improvements.

Thomas said the 10-year period would provide stability for Westwood and allow the BID to work toward long-term goals.

“I think it will demonstrate to our stakeholders that (Westwood Village) is coming back fast,” Thomas said.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.