Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Football Friday: UCLA vs. Stanford

(Kelly Brennan/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Claire Fahy

Every postgame, Daily Bruin Sports breaks down the Bruins’ most recent game, outlining the good, the bad and the verdict of their performance. This week, we take a closer look at No. 18 UCLA’s 56-35 loss to No.15 Stanford Thursday at Stanford Stadium.

The Good: The passing game

After Arizona State stuffed UCLA’s run Oct. 3, offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone clearly tried to switch up his game plan Thursday night. While freshman quarterback Josh Rosen threw better than he had done recently, completing 22-for-42 for 325 yards and three touchdowns, it wasn’t enough to keep pace with Stanford’s explosive offense. The Cardinal also exhibited a variety that has eluded the Bruins. While Rosen was better in the air tonight, Mazzone stuck to the pass without using the run game to mix up the play calling. Mazzone’s direction of the Bruin offense is causing the team to stagnate in-game – an issue the offensive coordinator needs to figure out before his team takes on yet another team with vast offensive potential. Cal comes to town next Thursday.

The Bad: The defense

The 56-point Stanford scoreline was the most points Jim Mora has given up in his career. It was the largest opponent scoring total for the Bruins since 2010, when Oregon put up 60 over UCLA. While the Bruins tried to keep pace with the Cardinal score-for-score over the first quarter and a half, it proved an insurmountable challenge as Stanford continued to extend its lead. Having suffered four losses to the defensive lineup from injuries over the first six weeks of the season, UCLA has not been able to account for those players against both unranked and elite competition.

The Verdict: Stanford is a national contender

Stanford played Thursday like a team who deserves to win. Ever since opening its season with a 16-6 loss to Northwestern, the Cardinal have played like a team with something to prove. Their exponential scoring potential has proven that, as the team has tallied scores of 31, 41, 42, 55 and 56 since that initial loss. With a dynamic quarterback in Kevin Hogan and a seemingly unstoppable running back in sophomore Christian McCaffrey, Stanford’s offense is on a roll. While the Cardinal still have to face Washington, Oregon, Cal and Notre Dame, every single one of those big matchups takes place in Stanford Stadium. This team could very well be a black-horse candidate for the playoffs.

Quote of the Game: Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey

“Last year we definitely had a salty taste in our mouth at the end of the season. Our first game, we could have folded, but these guys are so amazing. … It doesn’t matter if we’re in national championship talk or 0-and-whatever, we’re going to come to work each day as if it’s our last.”

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]