Saturday, May 4, 2024

UCLA football looks to break history of losses against Stanford

Josh Rosen and the Bruins are averaging 34.8 points per game, and had gone undefeated until they slipped up against the Arizona State Sun Devils two weekends ago. (Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Claire Fahy

Thursday’s matchup with Stanford is many things for UCLA.

For last year’s returning players, it’s a shot at redemption. For this year’s rookies, it’s a chance to prove themselves. For coach Jim Mora, it’s a potential career-first.

The last time the Bruins faced off against the Cardinal, it was to save their season. On Nov. 28, 2014, UCLA was surging after a rough midseason stretch that saw it lose back-to-back games and plummet in the national rankings.

A win over Stanford meant gaining a berth in the Pac-12 title game and keeping College Football Playoff hopes alive.

Instead, the Cardinal stunned the Bruins by a score of 31-10, instantly relegating UCLA to a worse bowl game and a 10-3 season. Stanford, a team that was averaging a Pac-12-worst 25.2 points per game, exploded behind quarterback Kevin Hogan.

The game marked the third Cardinal loss for the Bruins under Mora, who has never beaten Stanford while at UCLA.

With that history and the Bruins’ current status, coming off an upset loss to Arizona State on Oct. 3, Thursday night’s matchup is charged with potential – both good and bad.

A victory would mean UCLA secures a powerful win and moves back up in the rankings. A loss would place the Bruins in the same predicament they were in last season.

web.graphic.sports.football.preview.10.15.png

“The key for us on offense is executing and being assignment perfect and trying to stay on the field on the third down,” Mora said.

This year, Stanford is a much different team. The Cardinal entered their game against the Bruins last year as the Pac-12’s worst offensive team with a struggling offensive leader in Hogan. Now, the Cardinal quarterback has completed 81 of 120 passes on the season, and has led the Stanford to a 4-1 opening record.

UCLA is a different team, too. Behind freshman quarterback Josh Rosen’s arm, the Bruins are averaging 34.8 points per game and looked strong until their misstep against Arizona State.

“I think we’ve become a physical team,” Mora said. “You never know going in exactly what’s going to happen. I think our guys are geared up to play well.”

A Bruin win Thursday could mark a pivotal change in the Mora era of UCLA football, while a loss would once again cast doubt on the Bruins’ ability to compete against elite competition.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.