GSA recap – Oct. 14

By Jorge Valero

The Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 5:30 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.

Agenda

• Vice President of External Affairs Andrés Schneider gave an overview of GSA’s annual trip to Washington, D.C. for Student Advocates for Graduate Education. As part of the coalition, students representatives make a trip to Washington, D.C. once a year to advocate for issues important to the graduate student community, such as housing and mental health. He said UC Berkeley removed its participation from the SAGE coalition and added that this was a bad development since UC Berkeley’s contributions were valuable.

• Mohannad Ghawanmeh, director of Melnitz Movies with the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television, said that Melnitz Movies will be screening “Bridge of Spies” on Thursday in the James Bridges Theater. It will also screen the film “1915” on Oct. 27 in collaboration with the Armenian Student Association.

• UC Student Regent Avi Oved presented his plan for the year, including focusing on his middle-income affordability initiative, which would help middle-income students receive financial aid. Oved said he wants to define the parameters of what it means to be a middle-income student and identify support services for students, such as scholarships. Oved said he is working with a group of four other regents to talk about what the University’s responses should be when students feel discriminated against or attacked after the UC Statement of Principles Against Intolerance was rejected by the UC Board of Regents.

• Oved gave an overview of the student adviser proposal, which would expand the number of students on the board of regents to two members. All registered students at UCLA, undergraduate and graduate, would be able to apply for the new regent position. The council approved the proposal with a 16-2 vote.

• Helga Zambrano reported the graduate student orientation was successful and recruited about 100 volunteers. Recruiting for next year’s orientation starts in the spring and welcomed members to apply.

• GSA unanimously approved all appointments for the Student Fee Advisory Committee.

Officer Reports

• Adewunmi Adelaja, communication director, announced the new GSA website, which will be easier to use, will be completed soon.

• Nick Behrman, director of events, said he plans to coordinate more healthy lifestyle events, such as hosting physical activity events.

Compiled by Jorge Valero, Bruin contributor.

Jorge Valero | News contributor