Football Monday: UCLA vs. Arizona State

Redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins is brought down by an Arizona State defender early in the game. UCLA’s struggles with its running game led to its defeat. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Claire Fahy

Every postgame Monday, Daily Bruin Sports breaks down the Bruins’ most recent game, outlining the good, the bad and the verdict of their performance. This week, we take a closer look at No. 7 UCLA’s 38-23 loss to unranked Arizona State Saturday at the Rose Bowl.

The good: Josh Rosen in the red zone
While Saturday was far from freshman quarterback Josh Rosen’s best game, the rookie executed in the red zone, particularly on throws to junior receiver Thomas Duarte. Rosen was just 22-for-40 against the Sun Devils, but managed to find Duarte twice in the end zone. His second touchdown throw brought UCLA within six points with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, energizing a struggling Bruin offense and making a game out of a matchup that Arizona State had dominated.

The bad: The running game
Offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone appeared stubborn in his reluctance to part from the running game scheme, even when Arizona State read UCLA well and stacked the box. The Bruins averaged only 2.2 yards per rushing play and scored just one rushing touchdown. UCLA’s 93 rushing yards paled in comparison to Arizona State’s 221, a disparity that cost the Bruins the game.

The verdict: UCLA still has a lot to prove
Pundits were placing the Bruins in the College Football Playoff last week, long before the team had truly been tested. In many ways, this loss felt inevitable as UCLA was similarly shocked by Utah at home last season. The Bruins have yet to prove their ability to be a consistent, composed team when they find themselves in unexpected situations and that is what it takes to be a championship-caliber program.

Player of the game: Junior linebacker Isaako Savaiinaea
After a knee injury sidelined junior linebacker Myles Jack for the season and junior Jayon Brown suffered a back injury against Arizona, an opportunity arose for another linebacker to make a name for himself. Savaiinaea did just that Saturday, registering 15 tackles and making a momentum-shifting interception late in the fourth quarter. While his effort was not enough to save the Bruins or shore up their defensive holes, his promise at the position gives some hope that there can be a future after Jack.

Quote of the game: Offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone
“If you go three-and-15 on third downs, it’s hard to win football games.”

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.