FuelRod charging kiosks set to debut on Hill winter quarter

UCLA Housing installed five kiosks in residence halls which will allow students to pruchase portable charging devices for their smartphones.(Conor Cusack/Daily Bruin)

By Laurel Scott

UCLA Housing officials installed five kiosks in residence halls over the summer that will allow students to purchase portable charging devices for their phones and tablets, but the kiosks will not be available to students until winter quarter.

Students will be able to purchase fully-charged FuelRod chargers at kiosks in Covel Commons, the Housing Central Mailroom and in reception areas at Hedrick, Rieber and Sproul halls. Emma Sorrell, sustainability manager for UCLA Housing and Hospitality Services, said the company will add a sixth kiosk at the De Neve front desk during winter quarter.

The FuelRods can charge smartphones and tablets, and come in a kit that includes different cables for iPhones, iPads and Android phones.

After the charger’s battery is depleted, students can return the device to the kiosk and exchange it for a charged one for an unlimited number of times, Sorrell said. Students can also recharge the devices on their own, by plugging the FuelRod into any USB adapter and then into an outlet.

The company FuelRod provided the funding for the kiosks, and will also solely profit from and recharge the devices, Sorrell said.

Megan Shi, a first-year atmospheric and oceanic sciences student, said she doesn’t plan to use FuelRod because she already has a portable charger. She added she thinks it’s strange the kiosks were installed months before they would be available to students.

Alex Flemming, a first-year aerospace engineering student, said he always remembers to charge his phone, but he thinks many other students will use the kiosks.

Compiled by Laurel Scott, Bruin contributor.

Laurel Scott