Thursday, September 19

New Charles E. Young North traffic light, bike lane installed

UCLA officials installed a new traffic light on the intersection of Charles E. Young Drive North and the driveway leading into Parking Structure 7 to improve safety for drivers and pedestrians. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

UCLA officials installed a new traffic light and bike lane Tuesday on Charles E. Young Drive North to better control traffic on the street. The traffic light and bike lane cost $400,000.

Charles E. Young Drive North, which connects the east and west ends of campus, maintains a constant, heavy flow of pedestrians and cars, said Penny Menton, director of communications and organizational development of UCLA Transportation, in an email statement. The new traffic light creates a protected intersection where Charles E. Young Drive North meets the Parking Lot 7 driveway.

“Pedestrians can now worry less about turning vehicles as they move through the crosswalk,” Menton said.

UCLA officials also painted a westbound bike lane on Charles E. Young North to improve safety for cyclists, Menton said. She added the lane only runs uphill from campus to the Hill, because cyclists biking uphill cannot keep up with traffic.

Menton said UCLA Transportation solely funded the project. Some students said the expense was worth improving safety for student bikers.

“Before the light, I couldn’t always see cars coming,” said Judd Collado, a second-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student. “I think the new light makes the street much safer.”

Compiled by Meghan Hodges, Bruin contributor