Sororities suspend Bruin Bash publicity after Pi Beta Phi member death

Chapters along sorority row altered their prerecruitment practices Monday following the death of a member from Pi Beta Phi. (Hayley McAvoy/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Claire Fahy

The presidents of all Panhellenic sororities eliminated the competitive aspect of prerecruitment for the remainder of Monday’s events out of respect to Pi Beta Phi following the death of one of its members.

The member, a fourth-year Spanish and psychology student, was found dead Monday morning following a fire in her apartment on Roebling Avenue, which she shared with 11 other members of Pi Beta Phi.

The formal recruitment period opens Thursday and is projected to attract around 1,000 women, according to the office of UCLA Fraternity and Sorority Relations. Recruitment is generally viewed as a competition between 12 chapters of UCLA’s Panhellenic council to encourage the most new members to join.

At a meeting between all Panhellenic presidents and recruitment chairs Monday, chapters were asked not to practice their usual door chants, which are spirit songs, or engage in recruitment activities outside their houses as a sign of respect.

Bruin Bash, which is scheduled to take place at Pauley Pavilion Monday night, is one of the main publicity events for the Panhellenic community heading into recruitment. Instead of wearing shirts advertising individual organizations, as originally planned, all members of Panhellenic will be wearing “Go Greek” shirts and maroon ribbons – one of Pi Beta Phi’s colors.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.