Wednesday, May 1, 2024

UC Regents recap – Sept. 17

(Emaan Baqai/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Ryan Leou

The University of California Board of Regents concluded a three-day meeting at UC Irvine on Thursday, where the University’s sexual assault prevention task force and statement against intolerance dominated most of the discussion.

Update on sexual violence and assault prevention task force

The regents heard updates on the President’s Task Force on Preventing and Responding to Sexual Violence and Sexual Assault and its findings.

UCLA Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Janina Montero detailed the process of developing an educational program for sexual assault prevention and consent for students and faculty. She also said that programs targeted toward student groups like fraternities, student-athletes and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community were available.

Student Regent-Designate Marcela Ramirez said she wanted to educate others on sexual assault prevention in ways that are geared toward a more inclusive audience, not just within a specific community. She cited providing education on LGBT issues to those outside of the community as an example.

UCI Title IX officer Kirsten Quanbeck assured the regents that sexual violence prevention is embedded in current sexual harassment education, and that faculty and staff receive hundreds of hours of training.

UC President Janet Napolitano said that she wanted the task force to ensure due process rights for the victim and the accused.

Earlier this year, a San Diego County Superior Court judge ruled that a UC San Diego panel in 2014 was unfair to the accused, as he was not allowed to have all his questions asked at the hearing.

Endorsement of the UCLA Centennial Campaign

The board unanimously endorsed UCLA’s Centennial Campaign, which is trying to raise $4.2 billion by 2019, UCLA’s 100th anniversary.

Chancellor Gene Block said that despite the challenges public universities face in connecting with alumni and attracting donations, UCLA has already raised $2.09 billion, with four more years left in the campaign.

Discussion of fiscal year 2016-17 budget

Chief Financial Officer Nathan Brostrom gave the regents details about the upcoming state budget.

California resident student tuition is frozen for two years. After the 2017-18 academic year, it will be tied to inflation. However, the student service fee will increase by 5 percent annually, and nonresident tuition will also increase. Professional degree supplemental tuition will also increase.

Brostrom also listed cost-saving measures taken by the UC, including controlling staff growth and deployment of UCPath.

Approval of compensation with non-state funds

The board approved compensation for various UC officials who will be paid through non-state funds, including Chief Investment Officer Jagdeep Singh Bachher, Executive Vice President of UC Health John D. Stobo and Associate Chief Investment Officer Melvin Stanton.

Bachher will receive a base salary of $615,000, and Stobo will receive a salary of $580,000. Stanton will receive about $325,000.

Compiled by Ryan Leou, Bruin contributor.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor