ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Aug. 28

By Nicholas Yu

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises.

Executive and committee reports

• The association’s sales were strong for July and its 2014-2015 financial year results were stronger than anticipated, said ASUCLA Executive Director Robert Williams.
  • The association has started its back to school marketing and have several events planned for Welcome Week, such as the job fair and the UCLA Store After Hours Sale, Williams said.

• The construction of the all-gender restroom project was delayed due to a fire damper issue that had to be looked into by the fire marshal, Williams added.
  • The construction of the Hill Top Shop is almost complete and is expected to open next week, Williams said.

• The composting program was approved by the board of directors and kitchen composting will begin on Sept. 1, Williams said.
  • The association has submitted a report of its contribution to the UC sustainability initiative and said it is moving forward to buy more local produce, Williams said.
  • The Finance Committee approved a capital expenditure of $180,000 to approve network infrastructure at Ackerman, said undergraduate representative Arielle Mokhtarzadeh.

• The Services Committee has plans to redesign the ASUCLA corporate website and make it mobile friendly, said undergraduate representative Denea Joseph.

• Joseph said she wants the association to reach out more to the student population and hopes to do so by creating videos.
  • Joseph said that sales from the T-shirt design content was not as high as last year and said they expect donations from the T-shirt sales to go toward the Student Interaction Fund.

Financial statements

• Williams said the association had a strong performance in July due to a positive gross income with restaurants and the store over their projected budgets.
    • Williams said the association performed well in its 2014-2015 financial year with positive sales in restaurants and the store that exceeded their projected budgets.
    • Although the association has $11.4 million in the bank, which is around $1 million higher than last year, Williams said the association still has to be careful because the association, in less fruitful years, can lose around $3 million a year.

Agenda

• The association approved a capital expenditure of $180,000 to improve the network infrastructure of the student union.

Compiled by Nicholas Yu, Bruin senior staff.

Nicholas Yu | Assistant news editor