Bruins greet runners carrying Special Olympics torch through Westwood

A group of runners, including athletes and law enforcement officers, carried the Special Olympics torch toward a crowd of about 100 people in Westwood Village on Thursday afternoon. (Jose Ubeda/Daily Bruin staff)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

July 27, 2015 7:34 a.m.

Athletes from different countries joined together to run the Special Olympics torch toward a crowd of 100 spectators, UCLA marching band members and Spirit Squad members who welcomed the group with a rendition of UCLA’s fight song.

About 20 runners, including athletes and law enforcement officers, passed the torch as they ran down Westwood Boulevard on Thursday afternoon to Kinross Avenue, where UCLA and city officials welcomed the runners to Westwood Village. The runners later carried the torch to Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, where they lit the Olympic flame Saturday.

The 2015 Special Olympics World Games, which will last until Sunday, is expected bring about half a million people to 19 venues throughout Los Angeles. UCLA will offer eight venues for the World Games and house nearly half of the 7,000 participating athletes.

During the ceremony, L.A. City Councilman Paul Koretz presented certificates to athlete Brett Laza for his work as a Special Olympics global ambassador, and Shirrell Veitenheimer, a Washington police officer, for her fundraising efforts for the Special Olympics in her hometown.

Rafer Johnson, a UCLA alumnus and original member of the Special Olympics International Board of Directors who brought the program to California, said the Special Olympics World Games reaches more audiences and informs more spectators about people with disabilities as each edition goes by.

UCLA hosted several sporting events during its early years, he said.

Johnson said ever since he became involved with the Special Olympics, he’s seen athletes’ performance rise to the level of other athletes.

Veitenheimer said there are about 200 million people globally with intellectual disabilities, but only four million athletes receive medical attention. She said she became involved with the Special Olympics World Games because she thinks it is a great platform to encourage people to reach out to those who don’t receive medical attention.

“I think that people are going to be watching, and it can only get bigger from here,” she said. “If you know a little bit about the Special Olympics and you get involved, you’ll fall in love with it.”

Many at the ceremony said they were excited to see the torch run and plan to attend events that will be held at UCLA.

Tracy James, an instructor at UCLA Recreation who attended the event, said the torch run was a good way to bring Westwood Village and city officials together to acknowledge Special Olympics World Games athletes.

Kimberly Webster, executive assistant to the dean of life sciences who also attended, said she thinks the Special Olympics World Games will help UCLA students and faculty learn about people with disabilities and encourage them to attend the events held on campus.

Because of the large number of expected audience members, UCLA officials anticipate additional traffic at and around the UCLA campus. Two construction projects near UCLA – one on Strathmore Drive and the other on Sunset Boulevard and Hilgard Avenue – may also contribute to heavier traffic.

UCLA Transportation advises guests to take buses or carpool to UCLA, spokeswoman Alison Hewitt said in an email statement. For those planning to drive to UCLA, officials advise parking in structures 4 and 7 and avoiding structure 3 because of the construction on Hilgard Avenue.

Hewitt said UCLA officials usually plan construction during the summer because the traffic level is about 20 percent to 25 percent less than during fall quarter.

The closing ceremony will take place at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Sunday at 6 p.m.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.