UCSA discusses increasing student representation on the Board of Regents

By Shreya Maskara

June 29, 2015 2:00 a.m.

The University of California Student Association discussed a proposal to add another nonvoting student representative to the UC Board of Regents Saturday.

Avi Oved, the student regent-designate, proposed the position. He said the student adviser would be chosen through a selection process similar to that of student regents, although details of the selection process are still to be developed.

Oved added the position is designed to provide more comprehensive student representation on the board and ensure greater diversity of student opinion and experience.

Student representation on the Board of Regents includes a student regent, who is a voting member of the board, three nonvoting student observers to standing committees of the regents, several student advocates and systemwide committee representatives.

Oved added he thinks he and the current Student Regent Sadia Saifuddin are not able to effectively advocate for graduate students because they are both undergraduate students. He added that if student regents for the year are graduate students, for instance, then the adviser should be an undergraduate student, and vice versa in order to showcase different viewpoints of students in the UC system.

UCSA Board of Directors Chair Kevin Sabo said he thinks the problem of student representation on the board may not be solved by simply adding another student position.

Sabo added that the problem lies in the fact that a lot of regents don’t know about the student observer positions on the board.

Student observers do not get access to the same documents as other members. Creating another student position might not solve this problem, Sabo said.

Sabo added he thinks it might be more appropriate to improve the programs and positions of student representation that already exist.

“We’re a little hesitant to create another student position if it’s going to be rendered ineffective by regents,” Sabo said.

Oved added he hopes if negotiations go well, the proposal will be brought to a vote in November.

The board will continue to discuss the proposal in the following months, Sabo said.

Sabo said the UCSA will also vote on rejoining the United States Student Association in another meeting in July or via teleconference before its August congress. The USSA membership was terminated at a previous meeting of the UCSA Board of Directors because the board had concerns about the effectiveness and institutional organization of the USSA.

Maxwell Love, USSA president, said the staff has been working to address the concerns by developing a system of informative monthly emails to inform stakeholders about the progress of issues and campaigns, and introducing a long-tenured executive position.

Compiled by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff, and Meghan Hodges, Bruin contributor.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor