UCLA junior James Kaprielian selected No. 16 overall in 2015 MLB draft

By Tanner Walters

Three years and 39 rounds separated UCLA junior James Kaprielian from his high school self.

In June 2012, the high schooler was selected by the Seattle Mariners in the 40th and final round of the MLB draft. Instead of signing, however, he decided to attend UCLA.

After three years with the Bruins, Kaprielian was once again selected in the draft, this time as the No. 16 overall pick by the New York Yankees in the first round.

Kaprielian’s 2.03 ERA led all Bruin starters in 2015. In his second year as the team’s No. 1 starter, he totaled a 10-4 record with a team-high 114 strikeouts, garnering first-team All-Pac-12 honors for the second year in a row.

On May 15, Kaprielian teamed up with UCLA closer David Berg to throw a 10-inning no-hitter against Arizona. Kaprielian racked up 11 strikeouts in his nine innings.

In the weeks leading up to the draft, Kaprielian was projected to be a first-round lock. Sports Illustrated had him as high as 10th, 12th by ESPN and 16th by MLB.com, Baseball America and Scout.com.

The Yankees’ pick went as predicted, as they took him at No. 16.

This is the first time since 2011 that a Bruin has gone off the board in the first round. Former UCLA pitchers Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer – both of whom are currently in the majors with the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Cleveland Indians, respectively – were members of that 2011 class.

After the selection, MLB Network’s Jim Callis projected Kaprielian to be a future No. 3 starter and a quick riser through the Yankees’ farm system. The Bruin drew comparisons to Ian Kennedy of the San Diego Padres and Michael Wacha of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Compiled by Tanner Walters, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.