QB to transfer from UCLA, narrows down competition for starting spot

By Claire Fahy

The competition for UCLA football’s starting quarterback spot slimmed down Wednesday, with redshirt sophomore quarterback Asiantii Woulard announcing via Twitter he intends to transfer.

“After much thought, I’ll be transferring from UCLA,” Woulard tweeted. “Thankful for the opportunity and great experience, now looking forward to a new beginning.”

Woulard was part of the three-man battle for the starting spot that featured freshman Josh Rosen and redshirt junior Jerry Neuheisel. Woulard’s departure leaves Rosen and Neuheisel as the only scholarship quarterbacks on UCLA’s roster.

Throughout spring practice, coach Jim Mora said that a decision regarding the starting quarterback would not be made until fall. Woulard flashed athleticism during his nearly two years on UCLA’s roster, but was overshadowed by the strength of Rosen’s arm during spring practice.

In UCLA football’s Spring Showcase April 25, Woulard completed five passes on 12 attempts with one interception.

While Rosen is now the top contender to win the starting job, Neuheisel will have another chance to make his case when the team heads to San Bernardino for fall camp in August.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.