Producer, bassist Thundercat electrifies Royce Hall with performance

Stephen Bruner, also known as Thundercat, performed at Royce Hall Friday night. (Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

By Ivan Angelov

Thundercat’s energy proved that he was more than the producer who collaborated with Kendrick Lamar and Flying Lotus.

From the start of his performance the audience saw a proud and energetic artist who was ready to show off his own voice.

Multigenre bass player, singer and producer Stephen Bruner, better known as Thundercat, performed Friday night in Royce Hall.

Kicking off the evening, UCLA student band Apollo Soul instrumentally free-styled for its set. First-year undeclared student and lead guitarist Matt Saunders’ rock ‘n’ roll riffs collided with first-year ethnomusicology student Jack Bastian’s smooth piano swing, resulting in a mixed electro-jazz sound that drew loud cheers from the audience.

Psychedelic space images appeared on the screen behind Apollo Soul, adding to the detached feeling inherent in rock. Starting with slow instrumentals, a bass solo accompanied by a heavy drum set sparked energy in the audience. Audience members stood up in their seats with their fists up, enjoying the intense vigor of Apollo Soul’s performance.

Los Angeles-based artist and musician, Teebs, took the stage next, as the whole concert hall went completely dark. The only things visible on stage were his dreadlocks and hands playing with the SP-404 digital sampler.

Onstage, Teebs sat in the center seat and never looked out to the audience. Playing with an intense focus, he juxtaposed tropical sounds with slow electronic dubstep.

The psychedelic space visuals patterned his slow electronic instrumentals, mesmerizing and inducing the audience into a trance-like state.

“Sorry, it got weird,” said Teebs at the end of his set, acknowledging the psychedelic experience he just delivered.

Thundercat took the stage wearing a peacock-adorned accessory and with an electric bass strapped to his chest. From the get-go, he emitted organic vibes that filled Royce Hall with newfound, spirited energy that was set apart from his dark image when working on “To Pimp a Butterfly.”

The bassist headlined with “Daylight,” a song from his 2011 album, “The Golden Age of Apocalypse.” While the song started out slow, a new wave of energy encompassed him, breaking off into a five-minute electric bass solo with a vigor that could melt his instrument.

Thundercat then switched to his 2013 album “Apocalypse,” playing “Tron Song.” He added new stylistic elements to the song, changing the pitches of the electric bass multiple times.

However, the main attraction of the evening was when he performed “Complexion,” a song he helped produce in Lamar’s 2015 album “To Pimp a Butterfly.” When he began playing, a new version of the song rose from the strumming of his guitar.

Thundercat’s pitch-bending electric bass solo vibrated throughout the concert hall, shaking seats in the audience. He placed his bass to the amp, creating a well-placed frequency that interrupted his normal chords.

The intense energy evoked the sense that Thundercat was an entirely different artist than the one people associate with Lamar.

Thundercat ended the night with song suggestions from the audience, making the performance interactive. With songs like “Without You,” the artist once again shifted the style of the song to fit the ecstatic mood of the venue.

At the end of the show, Thundercat prompted the audience to raise up its hands into peace signs. Throughout the performance, he evoked a persona and energy reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix. He thanked the audience for coming as he received a standing ovation.

– Ivan Angelov

Ivan Angelov