Letter to the Editor: WWNC cannot support poorly written ‘Right to Rest’ legislation

By Jerry Brown

This article was incorrectly categorized as a submission. In fact, it's a letter to the editor.

Homelessness is a multifaceted problem faced by a diverse population. The Westwood Neighborhood Council, or the WWNC, is an elected advisory body within the city, but has neither the authority, the resources nor the ability to solve the homelessness problem in Westwood or at UCLA . SB 608 has not moved from Sen. Carol Liu’s committee, and one could infer that there is lack of legislative support for it in its current iteration.The WWNC is one of many organizations within California that have voiced opposition to it. The council’s opposition seems based not upon NIMBYism but on the fact that the proposed legislation seems to allow the “Right to Rest” on both public and private properties.

The neighborhood council has on frequent occasions supported organizations and activities that seem designed to try to understand and ameliorate the homelessness problem in our communities. We have supported actions which are designed to provide homes for the homeless, medical care, etc. We are frequently apprised and supportive of activity going on regarding the West Los Angeles campus of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and possible solutions to the homelessness situation. Homelessness is a human disaster, something which should never be in my or your back or front yard or on public streets, shopping malls, parks or bus benches. Poorly written legislation which does nothing to ameliorate the problem is not something to be roundly applauded, and cities and organizations in California recognize this.

Dr. Jerry Brown,
President,
WWNC

Jerry Brown