Despite anticlimactic season, seniors leave strong legacy

Junior Kyle McPhillips (pictured) and fellow junior Catherine Harrison will be counted on to fill the shoes of graduating seniors Robin Anderson, Chanelle Van Nguyen and Kaitlin Ray next season. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By TuAnh Dam

The season began with championship aspirations and ended with a runner-up finish.

No. 6 UCLA (23-5, 8-2 Pac-12) returned all but one starter from last year’s title run, but injuries and a shaky doubles lineup left the team vulnerable all season.

“It felt terrible losing,” said junior Kyle McPhillips. “It wasn’t a fun night and we’ll be thinking about this for a while, but all we can do is learn and move forward.”

Injuries hampered all eight starters throughout the season, limiting their practice time and preventing them from establishing a rhythm.

“Coming back, it was tough,” said senior Robin Anderson,

Injury limited doubles play as well. After not losing a doubles point last season, UCLA dropped seven this season, including three in the NCAA Tournament.

“We tried to get other doubles teams to improve,” said coach Stella Sampras Webster. “But with injuries and not being able to practice as much as we wanted, it showed our lack of experience.”

Even without a healthy and match-tested team, the Bruins were dangerous opponents, anchored by some of the top players in the country.

Anderson, ranked No. 1 in singles and No. 9 in doubles with sophomore Jennifer Brady, earned her second Pac-12 Player of the Year award and broke UCLA records in a dominant season. The Bruin senior earned her 127th career victory during the NCAA individual tournament, giving her the most wins by a No. 1 player in UCLA history and putting her second on the all-time win list behind Keri Phebus.

In singles, junior Catherine Harrison earned the Bruins’ third Pac-12 individual championship in three years, following the path of Brady in 2014 and McPhillips in 2013.

Behind its deep lineup, UCLA defeated conference and nonconference foes – including USC, Stanford, Baylor and last year’s national runner-up, North Carolina.

Seniors Chanelle Van Nguyen,

Brady, ranked No. 209 in the Women’s Tennis Association singles rankings, will also begin her professional career, forfeiting her remaining eligibility.

Next season, the Bruins are led by upperclassmen Harrison and McPhillips, who will return as one of the top doubles teams in the country. UCLA also brings back starters Terri Fleming and Kristin Wiley for their sophomore seasons in hopes of building on a successful yet anticlimactic season.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.