The Westwood Community Council meets several times a year to discuss issues relevant to the Westwood Village business and residential community.
- Susan Pollack, senior vice president of development for the Special Olympics World Games committee, asked for councilmembers’ support to help fundraise and increase attendance for the World Games, which will be hosted in Los Angeles in about two month. UCLA will host several events.
- Carmen Healy, assistant director of UCLA Community and Local Government Relations, said UCLA and surrounding areas are expected to experience dense traffic when students move out and people arrive for commencement ceremonies. She said UCLA Transportation will release information about how to avoid the upcoming traffic soon.
- Daniel Tomm, the westside area representative for Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office, said the Los Angeles City Council approved a proposal to increase the city’s minimum wage to $15 by 2020. He said Garcetti was happy with the result.
- Janet Turner, field representative for Rep. Ted Lieu’s office, said the United States Postal Service bought new scanning equipment, which allows customers to track their mail in real time. The equipment also has GPS capabilities that allow supervisors to better manage postal carriers. The USPS also started implementing new routing systems to increase delivery times, she added.
- Councilmember Roozbeh Farahanipour announced Walk for Warriors, a 5K race to be held at the Veterans Affairs campus in Brentwood on May 25. The event is a fundraiser for homeless veterans.
- The council discussed removing a Westwood Boulevard segment from the Westside Mobility Plan, which adds bike lanes throughout West Los Angeles. Councilmember Sandy Brown said Los Angeles City Council member Paul Koretz agreed to not paint bike lanes along Westwood Boulevard between Le Conte Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard.
- Councilmember David Hekmat said the Los Angeles Department of Transportation removed parking signs on Ohio Avenue that confused residents and led to cars being towed.
Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin contributor.