Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – May 13

By Sylvia Lutze

The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.

• The council approved plans for a new fraternity house for the empty lot next to 613 Gayley Ave. The building will house a UCLA chapter of a national fraternity within four years of its completion.
  • The council voted against the demolition of the townhouses on 10390 Ashton Ave. and 1234 Beverly Glen Ave. to recognize their historical significance and prevent the construction of high-rise buildings.
  • Members passed a motion to have additional parking in Westwood’s Trader Joe’s lot, allowing a retail area nearby to be zoned for restaurant use and to proceed with construction for the new Cava Grill restaurant.
  • Councilmembers discussed a new possible “right to rest” proposal, which would allow homeless individuals to rest in public areas in California. The council voted to send a letter of disapproval about the new bill to the state to encourage state officials to redraft the proposal.
  • Councilmembers also discussed installing new bike lanes on Westwood Boulevard, after deciding the lanes should be put on other side streets to avoid bus traffic. The council did not disclose when they will make a motion.
  • The council reviewed its budget and expects to have extra funds by the end of the fiscal year, said Laura Winikow, the council’s treasurer. Expenditures will be presented and voted on at the next meeting.

Compiled by Sylvia Lutze, Bruin contributor.

Sylvia Lutze