State board approves regulations requiring reduction in water use

By Andrea Henthorn

California cities will be mandated to cut their water usage by an average of 25 percent, following a decision Tuesday that UCLA officials are carefully monitoring.

Los Angeles already has initiatives to cut water usage, said Nurit Katz, executive officer for UCLA Facilities Management. With the mandate, however, Katz said she thinks there will be a new urgency to continue the efforts.

“We’re continuing to work on water-use reduction to meet existing goals and we’re working with the city to keep track of any new restrictions that come,” Katz said.

The state water board unanimously approved regulations Tuesday calling for cities to reduce water usage, citing the severe drought that has plagued the state for the past few years. The regulations are set to take effect by summer.

The exact effect the mandate will have on UCLA is not yet clear, but UCLA has already taken measures to reduce water consumption by discontinuing watering ornamental medians, and using turf and drought-tolerant plants, Katz said.

Compiled by Andrea Henthorn, Bruin contributor.

Andrea Henthorn | Alumna
Henthorn was the Enterprise Content editor from 2017-2018. She was previously a News reporter.