Pitching may prove difference in offensively driven Arizona-UCLA series

Senior pitcher Ally Carda faces the nation’s best offense in terms of batting average this weekend: the Arizona Wildcats. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin)

Softball

No. 14 Arizona
Today, 5 p.m

Easton Stadium
Pac-12 Network
No. 14 Arizona
Saturday, 2 p.m.

Easton Stadium
ESPNU
No. 14 Arizona
Sunday, 7 p.m.

Easton Stadium
Pac-12 Network

By Amit Nainani

Looking at the stat sheets, it takes a while to find a marked difference between No. 7 UCLA and No. 14 Arizona.

The team’s batting averages are almost identical: UCLA is ranked No. 4 in the nation with a .366 mark, and Arizona ranks first with a .371. Additionally, the two Pac-12 rivals score nearly the same amount in each game, with the Bruins averaging 7.83 (No. 7 in the country) and the Wildcats averaging 8.45 (No. 3).

With the offenses playing to a near stalemate, the X-factor in this potential slugfest of a series may be the one thing that differentiates them on paper: pitching. UCLA ranks No. 21 with a 2.30 ERA while Arizona is No. 124 with a 3.78 mark.

The Bruins’ solid ERA may rise this weekend against the Wildcats’ juggernaut offense, but the key for UCLA (41-8, 15-3 Pac-12) will be to avoid a breaking point or a big inning. A bend or two is to be expected, considering the offensive talent that Arizona (37-12, 12-6) and the Pac-12 as a whole field on a regular basis.

“The Pac-12 is a great test to be able to practice throwing your best every single weekend, every inning, every pitch. I like where we are, and (our pitchers) just came off a great weekend,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez. “(Senior pitcher) Ally (Carda) was able to have some great outings as well as both freshman pitchers – Selina (Ta’amilo) and Johanna (Grauer) – were able to build some confidence and get out of some pretty big jams.”

The freshman pitchers will take a step up in competition after performing well against one of the Pac-12’s worst offenses at Oregon State this past weekend. Ta’amilo and Grauer will be key components of the Bruins’ success this upcoming weekend, as they can reduce the burden placed on Carda, who has been generally less effective in the second and third games of weekend series this year. Carda has not let this shake her confidence, because she knows that the team has her back.

“I go into every game with the mindset to just go for it. I try to focus on those positives and what my team can help me do. It is a lot easier for me to win matchups knowing I have the whole field behind me (for support),” Carda said. “I think just going for it and then whatever happens, happens, and my team will be fine.”

The Bruins have swept three straight series against Pac-12 opponents and have momentum on their side. However, the players acknowledge that each new series presents its own unique challenges and that they still have to work on their game-to-game consistency if they want to replicate their recent success.

“Right now, we are a product of responding from a series that we were disappointed in: the outcome of the Oregon series. But what they have done since then, I am very proud of their consistency on how they have been going after the game,” said Inouye-Perez, whose team has won 10 straight since dropping two of three to Oregon in early April. “Against Oregon State (this past weekend), they literally scored almost every inning. Those types of things are hard to do.”

Emotions will be high throughout the weekend as the Bruins and Wildcats have a storied rivalry on the diamond. Arizona has won eight national championships in school history, its last coming in 2007, while UCLA has 11, its last coming in 2010. With such illustrious histories to go along with their current high marks, it is easy to see why each program can lay claim to being the most prestigious softball school in the country.

In addition to the already heightened sense of awareness that this annual clash brings, the Bruins will also be honoring their seniors this upcoming weekend. According to senior second baseman Gracie Goulder, once the Bruins take the field, they will be able to separate their pregame emotions from their job and focus on the task at hand.

“It is just like any other game. (We can) just enjoy it and enjoy the time with our families,” Goulder said. “But obviously when we get on the field, that is all that matters, and we can focus on getting the W.”

Amit Nainani
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]