Triton Invitational to serve as UCLA’s warm-up lap for Pac-12 stretch

Senior pole vaulter Mark Sakioka achieved a high mark of 16.73 feet at the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner-Kersee Invitational, which was the top score of the meet. Sakioka said his goal for this weekend’s Triton Invitational is to reach the 17-feet mark. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin)

By Vikram Sairam

Every year, hundreds of student-athletes at UCLA and at schools all around the country graduate after servicing their respective schools in their individual sports. This season, the Bruin track and field program features 14 redshirt seniors and 10 seniors, many of whom have played an essential role in the recent success of the program. UCLA currently holds 11 athletes ranked in the top 25 in their respective events, four of them being seniors.

Leading the veteran group, senior high jumper Zibby Boyer is currently ranked fifth in the nation with her mark of 6 feet, 1 1/4 inches, a height she cleared at the Jim Bush Team Invitational on March 24. With only three meets until the Pac-12 championship, Boyer will compete in the Triton Invitational in San Diego this weekend as she prepares for the latter end of her season.

“There will be some great competition at Triton, and it will be a good way to practice for some of the big meets coming up,” Boyer said.

Boyer has already secured her spot in the NCAA Regional meet, but said she’s looking forward to competing in the Pac-12 championship at Drake Stadium in early May before anything.

“It’s really exciting to have Pac-12s at home this year, especially being a senior,” Boyer said. “It will be a really fun experience being able to compete at home at such a high level.”

As Boyer mentioned, the end of the track season increases in intensity, as various members of the team fight to qualify for regionals and subsequently nationals.

For fellow senior Mark Sakioka, the Triton Invitational will serve just that purpose. The pole vaulter has been training all week in order to achieve his goal of clearing 17 feet this weekend. However, just like Boyer, Sakioka is looking to use the Triton Invitational as a steppingstone to the Pac-12 championship.

“I couldn’t ask for a better way to end college than (getting) to have Pac-12s at Drake,” Sakioka said. “I grew up only 45 minutes south from UCLA, so I know I will have a lot of friends and relatives coming to support us.”

The long road

Idrees Bernard is only a freshman, but the 18-year-old has been through a great deal in order to get to Westwood. A highly recruited long jumper and triple jumper out of Agoura Hills, Bernard committed to Washington State late in his senior year. But, having hired an entirely new coaching staff soon after his commitment, Washington State pulled his scholarship offer in the middle of the summer for an unknown reason.

After scrambling to reopen his recruiting process, Bernard came in contact with UCLA associate coach Jack Hoyt. After taking a visit in late July, Bernard committed to the Bruins on his 18th birthday: Aug. 1, 2014. However, because his commitment came so late, Bernard was not able to enroll in the fall and was forced to attend community college until winter quarter. Bernard has since been a bright spot for the Bruin track program, as the former CIF Southern Section champion has cleared over 48 feet in the triple jump and over 24 feet in the long jump this year. An aspiring communication studies student who hopes to minor in film, the freshman is ecstatic about his current opportunities.

“Once I got here, I instantly knew I was going to have the best time of my life,” Bernard said. “The classes offered seem really enjoyable and I feel both subjects fit my personality … since I’m into filming and editing.”

As far as for this weekend, Bernard continues to keep it simple.

“I just want to go out there, jump far and get the (win). I’m excited for our team to go down to San Diego and do what we do best.”

Vikram Sairam | Alumnus
Sairam joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. He spent time on the football, women's soccer and track and field beats.