UCLA women’s golf aims high entering Pac-12 championship

Ranked No. 8 in the nation, senior Erynne Lee will play a key role as UCLA enters the Pac-12 championship this week. (UCLA Athletics)

By Alexander Hyun

The UCLA women’s golf team enters postseason play and is set to compete in the Pac-12 championship this week.

The Bruins will certainly have their work cut out for them.

Despite being ranked third by Golfweek magazine, the Bruins trail their Pac-12 rivals – the Washington Huskies and the USC Trojans – teams that rank first and second respectively.

Another obstacle will be Stanford, which enters the tournament as the defending Pac-12 champion.

The UCLA-USC rivalry will once again be a point of emphasis this week as Trojan junior Kyung Kim is currently the nation’s No. 3 individual women’s golfer.

The Bruins will enter the tournament featuring two golfers in the top 10. Sophomore Bronte Law ranks fourth, just behind USC’s Kim, and senior Erynne Lee currently ranks eighth .

With the midseason departure of sophomore Alison Lee to the pros, Law and Erynne Lee have had to lead the way for the Bruins and give the team a good shot to win this upcoming tournament.

Erynne Lee brings experience as a three-time first team all-Pac-12 selection and Law has had the best season of her short career thus far as a Bruin.

Law’s recent rise as one of the Bruin’s best players is marked by two tournament wins, as well as Pac-12 women’s golfer of the month honors for February. The sophomore’s season par is at 8-over par, which leads all Bruins.

Erynne Lee has only won a single tournament this season, but she ties Law with five top-10 finishes and six top-20 finishes. Lee’s season par is second best on the team with a score of 23-over par.

The Bruins will need Law and Lee to play their best golf of the season if they want to have a shot at winning the Pac-12 crown.

Compiled by Alexander Hyun, Bruin Sports contributor.

Alexander Hyun